The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G How to wire up aftermarket radiator fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman8079

Proven Member
Mar 1, 2023
Walton, Indiana
Ok I have a question. Put nicer radiator in car and had to go with slim aftermarket fan. Issue is old pig tail has 4 wires new fan only has 2 any help would be appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you keep the old radiator? The connector has two pins for the fan motor, and two pins for the radiator temp sensor (which controls when the fan turns on). See the red circled portion of the attached diagram. This diagram is for a 1G:

Last edited:
Ok I have a question. Put nicer radiator in cat and had to go with slim aftermarket fan. Issue is old pig tail has 4 wires new fan only has 2 any help would be appreciated.

I just did this last week for the A/C side fan after it melted. Colors are slightly different for the passenger side fan, but here is the video that i used.

Radiator fan starts at 9:52

Twist the blue and green together and the yellow and black together. My Spal fan had a blue and a red wire. Blue was ground and red was positive(Im not well versed on electrical, so youre gonna have to test which of your wires is your positive and negative.). I twisted the positives together and the negatives together and plugged it in and the fan started spinning. Since it worked, I soldered the positive from the new fan to the two positives that i had twisted together and then did the same for the negatives.

Those red ebay fans are garbage and will cause your car to over heat

the dual core aluminum radiators are less effecient at cooling the motor. They double the coolant size in the radiator, and as a result cause the fan to be able to draw less air through the extra thickness of the radiator. I can not stress enough how much better a stock radiator and fans are. The stock plastic radiator and stock fans are extremely more effecient at removing heat from the coolant

I just did this last week for the A/C side fan after it melted. Colors are slightly different for the passenger side fan, but here is the video that i used.

Radiator fan starts at 9:52

Your condensor fan melted because the aluminum radiators dont fit properly in the engine bay.

I dont mean to turn the thread against aluminum radiators, but 99% of the cars with overheating problems are because those radiators are extra thick and are less thermally effecient as a stock plastic radiator

Your condensor fan melted because the aluminum radiators dont fit properly in the engine bay.

I dont mean to turn the thread against aluminum radiators, but 99% of the cars with overheating problems are because those radiators are extra thick and are less thermally effecient as a stock plastic radiator

I still have a stock style radiator in mine. I think my fan melted because my turbo to manifold gasket is leaking.

Aluminum soaks up HEAT a lot faster than plastic so it will absorb the underhood temps more than a stock radiator also.

I still have a stock style radiator in mine. I think my fan melted because my turbo to manifold gasket is leaking.

Same happened to me as well. Melted 2 shitimoto rad fans before buying a spal and it solving the problem. All on a stock radiator btw.
Never thought of that gasket as the issue, but I figured with both the Exhaust mani heatshield and the Turbo stock heatshield it would help deflect any leaking air from my mainifold.

Same happened to me as well. Melted 2 shitimoto rad fans before buying a spal and it solving the problem. All on a stock radiator btw.
Never thought of that gasket as the issue, but I figured with both the Exhaust mani heatshield and the Turbo stock heatshield it would help deflect any leaking air from my mainifold.
So i noticed that it was only the tips of the fans getting cooked. I clipped a sheet of the roll up aluminum heat shield material to the lower end of the upper heat shield(previously just has a manifold blanket) so that it draped downward and went for a drive. Let it cool down and took the sheet off, the back side has heavy burn marks coming from the area where the heat shields meet. Maybe there isnt a leak and its just getting that hot behind the shields and thats where the heat is escaping, but Im going to check it out, because either way, extreme heat is coming out of the gap between the heat shields and cooked the last 2 stock fans I had. The turbo to manifold gasket sits right there close to the gap which is my reasoning for assuming that I might have a leak there.

So i noticed that it was only the tips of the fans getting cooked. I clipped a sheet of the roll up aluminum heat shield material to the lower end of the upper heat shield(previously just has a manifold blanket) so that it draped downward and went for a drive. Let it cool down and took the sheet off, the back side has heavy burn marks coming from the area where the heat shields meet. Maybe there isnt a leak and its just getting that hot behind the shields and thats where the heat is escaping, but Im going to check it out, because either way, extreme heat is coming out of the gap between the heat shields and cooked the last 2 stock fans I had. The turbo to manifold gasket sits right there close to the gap which is my reasoning for assuming that I might have a leak there.
My situation is different, strangely. Mine actually burns right at the location of the motor. I thought it was an exhaust leak from the downpipe to the o2 housing but for the life of me couldnt confirm it. Torqued the bolts as hard as I could but there is still definitely a chance it leaks.

I don't know if it would work in your application, but I use THIS between my downpipe and my oil filter to keep the heat off and it works great. It is exhaust gasket material, but I leave it in sheet form and attach it with mechanics wire and let it hang between the DP and the OF to keep the oil cool. It definitely works as a good heat bearier.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back