The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G How to run oil catch can

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsey91

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2022
Basalt, Colorado
This is probably gonna be a dumb question but I’ve been trying to search and find the answer and haven’t.

How should I route my catch can? This is the setup I’ll be doing for SD and you can see both hoses coming from valve cover. Closest side of catch can is the in and other side is the out. This will be vented as well, just want to keep the filter clean for now.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is probably gonna be a dumb question but I’ve been trying to search and find the answer and haven’t.

How should I route my catch can? This is the setup I’ll be doing for SD and you can see both hoses coming from valve cover. Closest side of catch can is the in and other side is the out.
That catch can looks sealed, unless I’m missing something?

You can’t just hook those two hoses together, you need to pull the vapors out with a vacuum source. One solution is to order a second matching can and set them up like the following diagram.

Check this thread out for a good read about other options,

It’s vented I just have the filter still in the package to keep it clean until the car is ready for tuning and the bolt is in in the top keep stuff from getting inside.

That why I’m wondering exactly how to route it for flow. unless I still need two cans. I also won’t have an intake coming off the turbo

I’m trying to run this setup

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure what your goals for the car are, but that is going to be an ineffective setup. There’s a lot of info on the PCV system, how it works, and how different catch can setups work in the following article, which was also referenced in the thread from my previous post.

As you'll see in the very thorough writeup, you need to actively draw the air out of the crank case. Just blocking off the intake manifold (non-boost vacuum source) and the pre-turbo inlet (boost vacuum source) means your engine isn't having the gasses actively drawn out. Sure, if the catch can is vented that'll mean you won't blow your dipstick out of the tube... but it will still leave combustion and moisture nastiness in the head and block, creating an acidic and moisture environment that will be bad for your engine over time.

With the intake operating under both vacuum and positive pressure, a standard PCV setup won't work. The diagram @Dericsh posted is the best catch can setup for a boosted car. The writeup shows a single can option, but it doesn't do as good a job because it only focuses on one side of the vacuum/boost equation.

Running Speed Density doesn't affect the routing of the catch cans.

Keep your pcv system hooked up to vacuum and a check valve in-line. You’ll thank yourself very soon

I’m running stock pcv with a check valve so under boost it doesn’t push boost into the valve cover. I’m running 24psi. Before the check valve I would blow my dipstick out. Now with the valve it doesn’t even think about it.

As you'll see in the very thorough writeup, you need to actively draw the air out of the crank case. Just blocking off the intake manifold (non-boost vacuum source) and the pre-turbo inlet (boost vacuum source) means your engine isn't having the gasses actively drawn out. Sure, if the catch can is vented that'll mean you won't blow your dipstick out of the tube... but it will still leave combustion and moisture nastiness in the head and block, creating an acidic and moisture environment that will be bad for your engine over time.

With the intake operating under both vacuum and positive pressure, a standard PCV setup won't work. The diagram @Dericsh posted is the best catch can setup for a boosted car. The writeup shows a single can option, but it doesn't do as good a job because it only focuses on one side of the vacuum/boost equation.

Running Speed Density doesn't affect the routing of the catch cans.
Appreciate the info. That helped me understand it a lot more.

And only reason I thought that was because I wasn’t planning on doing an intake on a 20g but I’m using my gt30 instead so I’ll be keeping the intake.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back