The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How to properly clean block/crank before assembly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNoZZo

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
Can you guys share your tips and tricks for getting the block/crank cleaned before assembly? I was told to rinse every thing with lots of brake fluid, and/or wash everything with hot water and soap.

-Is it necessary for me to remove my balance shaft oil blockoff bearings? The motor suffered a spun rod bearing so I don't know if there are shavings that would get trapped back there. Or will it be adequate to use brake clean/compressed air to blow out the hole?

You need to remove anything that will remove, including the oil squirters, and clean everything with brake cleaner. Blow it through the oil galleys with compressed air. It should take a few cans.

It would be a good idea to get a new oil pump too.

There are a few areas on my block that have light rust. I'm talkin very early stages, little spots. It was suggested by the machine shop to use some wd-40 and a scotch pad.

My machinist said joy dish soap and a large tub full of HOT water and go to town on the galleys until the water is clear..

Agreed

*Oliver, can you give us a group price for a complete front case w/gears, strainer?

My machinist said joy dish soap and a large tub full of HOT water and go to town on the galleys until the water is clear..

Make sure you have the air compressor ready to blow dry everything very thoroughly then coat all machined surfaces with motor oil, atf, wd40 or something of the like.

I take a clean lint free cloth and wipe the bores down with trans. fluid. I wipe until the rag is no longer dirty.

Make sure you have the air compressor ready to blow dry everything very thoroughly then coat all machined surfaces with motor oil, atf, wd40 or something of the like.

YA because if you don't it flash rusts in like 10 seconds.. I was on Allens account yesterday at the shop BTW. They said NASCAR did a test on block cleaning and JOY came out on top of everything..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back