The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G How to install front sway bar in awd with no lift

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, so the big fear for installing the front sway bars on awd cars is working the front bar out and the new one in. I was able to do this on my driveway, using two jackstands and the jack. There was no need to drop the transfer case, or have a lift(but if you have access to one, why not use it), and there was no huge problems wiggling the old bar out and new one in. I wrote this because if you were like me, it was discouraging to think about doing this.

You see the new red RM sway bar in all the pics because I took pictures as I was putting the bar back in, but you can still follow along easily.

First, crack the lug nuts loose on the front wheels. then jack the car up, and use jackstands to hold it. I jacked the car up about halfway where I wanted it, put in the jack stand and then went and raised the other side. Then went back to the first side and raised it more, and then the final side to match it up. This prevents too much stress on on side of the car and on the one jack stand. I always leave the jack supporting a little too as a just in case. Take the wheels off.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Get under where the wheel well is and find the endlink of the swaybar, Spray it a LOT with some penetrating oil(liquid wrench) You will need a 14mm wrench and socket, you have to hold on side and turn the nut on the other. This was a pain because of the cramped space, and lack of getting leverage. I ended up rounding off the passenger side bolt on the endlink so the nut and bolt just spun together=. But the upper part came off, so I removed the swaybar with it attached, then went to mitsubish and bought another one( $62) But on the new one they had redesigned it so there was no bolt that could strip, there was a hex fitting on the stud, that I didnt even need to use because the stud didnt turn when I tightened the nut back down.

Once both endlinks are disconnected, you can unbolt the bracket that holds the bar to the body of the car. (2 brackets, 2 bolts each) use a 14mm on them and remove the bracket and the stock rubber bushing.

Next you are going to remove the frame gusset plates on the passenger and driver side. They have 14mm bolts. It it very easy to get a socket on them and use a pole or anything to get leverage and they will come off easily after cracking them loose. I used the bar from my jack(about 1 1/2 ft long) and put the socket handle in the bar.

Ok So now the bar is able to move around freely, This is where may have to jack the car up a little bit more, but be safe as it's pretty high at this point, so make sure the load is even on each jackstand. Don't raise the car more uness you have to after this step. You are now going to unbolt the lower control arm on the passenger side. It is Two 17mm bolts. It is easy if you use some larger breaker bar for leverage.

S this is about what you should see right now, except it will be the stock sway bar in there, not the new one.

Next you are going to have to support the car on the jack, and remove the jackstand from the passenger side. You need the room to be able to maneuver the sway bar out.

Now the fun part, Start by going to the driver side and make sure you have the bar pulled out of the endlink, then push and move the bar toward the passenger side a little just to give it some room.

Go back to the passenger side, and pull the bar toward you, turning the end of the bar clockwise until it points down. When you pull far enough it will get caught,

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7,906
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 7,437
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 7,412
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7,362
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 7,294
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 7,489
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 7,289
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7,239
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 7,117
Then you just rotate the bar clockwise about another 90 degrees, and pull the end toward the back of the car, and you will be able to get the bar out, and install the new one doing the instructions in the reverse order. And then ta da. you put in the bar without dropin the t case or use of a lift. Hope this helps everyone, please give rep points if this is helpful. good luck!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,024
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back