The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to increase oil pressure to the head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanley talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2005
Spencer, Indiana
Is there anyway to increase the oil pressure in the head of a 1g 6 bolt motor? My motor does have its balance shafts. It just seems i have low oil pressure in the head. I thought there was a spring or something that could be modified? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Have you put an oil pressure gauge on the head to verify? 15psi to the head is more than enough. Do you have noisy lifters? If so a quick search for noisy lifters will give you plenty of reading and many suggestions on how to remidy the problem.

You can increase the oil pressure by streaching out or replacing the spring in the OFH but the effects are usually short lived and be careful because too much pressure is just as bad as low pressure.

Well i do need a guage to verify my oil pressure reading in the head. But i am not sure where to install it for an oil pressure reading? I don't experince really noisy lifters. It almost sounds like the cam is clunky or something? I may need to take a video of it running. When i take off the oil cap i don't see oil squirting. But when i give it a little rev then i see it squirt. But my brother in laws 1g oils very well at idle in the head it squirts alot without reving it? So i was thinking it has low oil pressure in the head.
I do have 3g lifters installed and his has factory 1g lifters.

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

You may have to bore out the head stud holes 1/2" if your using the standard ARP studs as they tend to bind in the bores causing a lack of oil getting past the stud to the oil gallery in the head as these heads core shift slightly causing the problem. The stud on the bottom row all the way to the left gets oil past it to the head oil gallery. If the stud is to tight in the bore it will not allow oil to the head and more oil pressure is needed to get it past as you have desribed. You should see oil coming out of the rocker arm for the cam lobe with the oil cap off at idle. If not you have a problem.

Okay thats what i needed to hear. I wonder what i can do to remedy it? without removing the head. I may just put a stock head bolt in that hole!

Okay thats what i needed to hear. I wonder what i can do to remedy it? without removing the head. I may just put a stock head bolt in that hole!

Yea I would try that. The head really needs to come off to have the holes punched out to 1/2" so there is no binding at all in any part of the head or a head gasket failure will result as the binding is preventing the studs from doing there job by clamping the head down flat from one end to the other.

To measure the pressure in the head an option would be to get a double banjo bolt and install it at the turbo oil feed location on the head. Many motorcycles use double front brake hoses so a double banjo should be easy to find in a bike shop. Just verify that you get the same thread size and pitch as the original banjo bolt. Also get a braided hose banjo-to-npt or banjo to -3AN fitting and any other adapter(s) to connect your pressure gauge (an -> npt female). Also test both at idle and at higher rpm.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back