The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

how to do a 6 bolt block only swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNismo17

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2003
Mobile, Alabama
before anyone says to use the search..i already have and came up empty, i want to know how to swap just a used 6 bolt block into my 2G using my 2G head.. the reason why i am keeping my 2G head is because it is already fully built, i have a used 6 bolt block out of a 91 gs-t, any info would help..

Check the Vfaq out on the head swap and see what stuff you have to block to use a 6 bolt head... I'm sure that stuff will be blocked or not their on that 6 bolt motor.... I think their is a water jacket that isn't their that is their on the 7 bolt... I don't know for sure I have 2 motors and both are 6 bolts...

You will have too get the stud holes machined on the block as the 2g studs are bigger

i knew that already, that is the only info i could find when searching..any other info??

you will have to do the 1g CAS rewire, the 1g block doesnt have a crank angle sensor like the 2g block does. other than that, i believe everything else is the same except the bolt holes on the head need to be enlarged to 12 MM.

check out magnus motorsports they have a complete list of what you will need to change when doing the swap. I'm also currently in the middle of doing the swap using my 2g head. It's mostly trimming some mounts and rewiring but the website will explain that in better detail. Also a valuable place to go is yahoo groups dsm1gina2g group. It is just a bunch of people that have done the swap already helping each other out.

I'm one of the people who have done the block swap and used the 2g head. It's relatively straight forward. You will need pretty much everything that goes on the timing side-water pump, oil pump cover, oil filter bracket, 1g tensioner, and you'll need to cut/sand down a portion of your engine mount. Since the block is going to be out, I'd recommend getting your balance shafts removed too. It makes it way easier to put the motor back together. I believe you also need a 1g oil pan. Like one of the above postings said, you will need to get a cas from a 1g car and put it on your head due to no crank sensor. Also when you time the motor, remember that you use a different timing mark on the cover. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.
-Drew

do you need the 2g oil pan or 1g??

Also i was told by a local DSM mechanic who is really knowdledgeable on DSM's that i just need to put in 1g head studs and the head will bolt in.

Can anyone verify this?

Race94 said:
do you need the 2g oil pan or 1g??

Also i was told by a local DSM mechanic who is really knowdledgeable on DSM's that i just need to put in 1g head studs and the head will bolt in.

Can anyone verify this?

1G head studs are 12mm. 2G studs are 11mm. If you use 1G studs you will have to drill out your 2G head out.

You can enlargen the head simply by drilling it with a hand drill. It's centered on the block with dowels so you don't need to worry about having it lined up properly. Just becareful and you will have no problems. You can then use 1G studs (ARP preferably) and go from there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back