The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

How strong are the 2G stock pistons, rods etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997 Eclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Manila, Asia
I have the following mods to name a few:

SBR GT12 - 56Trim GT30 Internally gated.
GM MAFT
HKS 264/272
660cc injectors
255 HP Fuel pump
GReddy Big FMIC
DSM Link
Apexi N1
2.5 downpipe and no cat
EVO3 Exhaust and O2 body
1G Throttle body
2G RRE Extrude honed Intake manifold

and many others.

My question is will my stock internals hold the power? I will be running 17 and 22 PSI.
Tranny is no problem as I have a TRE tranny. What are the limits of the stock internals?

Thanks

I kinda find it funny that you have those mods and dont know what our engines can take.

Search button is your freind but a 2g can take 400-450whp before you need to step up to the plate.

No problems with the pistons ot rods in the 2g the prob with our cars is the crank. :dsm:

Larry, just converted from a/t to M/T about 700miles ago. The car has only 25,000 miles on it as I only take it out on the weekend. I also have a CFDF clutch. I hope this will help with the crank or lessen the chance of crankwalk. If it happens, I will have to go 1G short block.

NewB2dsm, I have been getting different opinions regarding this. Conservate opinions who say I should upgrade and other who say I am fine. I am yet to dyno as the new turbo is getting installed as we speak.

Thanks both for your comments.

For stock internals.. I would say 350 - 400 whp is about the absolute maximum you can do, maybe less... Say with ARP studs, 22 - 24 psi on a 50 trim with all the supporting bolt ons...

Well i have freinds who have gone high11s at 119mph on a completly stock engine including cams. Others putting down 350whp on a 20g pushing 22psi on pump gas. Then a freind who went 12.2@117 on a 20g at 29psi again stock engine. Its not the boost that will kill the engine its the HP and it seems that a 2g internals can take in the neighborhood of 400-450whp. I wouldnt be driving a 400+whp car around all the time jumping on it and say im safe b/c im in this range. It think once you hit 400whp you should start to think hey i might want some new rods or somthing, know what i mean?

2gs can handle 450 whp but I wouldn't do it everyday. I would keep the engine stock if you have about 350 whp just driving around and then turn the boost up at the track. If you want to be driving around with 400+ whp at all times I would at least put in 1g rods.

Just to add a few more details, the fuel over here can be as high as 96 Octane. Also as I am internally gated, therefore have to run minimum 17PSI boost and a high setting of 21PSI as I run the GReddy Profec B. I will not be flooring it all the time. Another question, is it worth changing the pistons, rods etc on the 2G engine or going all out and changing to a 6 bolt engine. If the dreaded crankwalk appears, all the money spent on internals is in vain. If it does happen, how much are you looking at to "fix" the 2G engine.

Thanks,

Dan

Never rebuild a crankwalked motor. When a motor crankwalks it screws with the bearing seating surfaces and will happen again if it is rebuilt. Crankwalk is overrated and if I ever need to replace my motor for anything it will be with a stroked 7 bolt :thumb:

Well if you guys rebuilding motor ,do Eagle rods let the motor balanced and blueprited I never will rebuild 7bolt,before 4year I did 2 both crankwallked again ,after 10 000 miles,betwen 2.3 and truth 2.4l is big diferent in performance ,I thing it's just not worth do stock rods +if they are used .

martyboss said:
Well if you guys rebuilding motor ,do Eagle rods let the motor balanced and blueprited I never will rebuild 7bolt,before 4year I did 2 both crankwallked again ,after 10 000 miles,betwen 2.3 and truth 2.4l is big diferent in performance ,I thing it's just not worth do stock rods +if they are used .

Anyone else know WTF that says?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back