The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

How much should this head work cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parker4

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2009
Florissant, Colorado
I have 1mm oversized valves that I would like to use. I've done my research and please lets just leave the valve size arguments/supporting mods a-side. Its a 2g head, and this will be my first adventure into working a head.
I am wondering how much I should expect to spend getting this work done since I don't have many local choices and will not ship my head.
-Blend bowls
-Remove casting flaws
-Short side radius work
-Knife edge dividers
-Polish exhaust side

Thank you for your help!
:dsm:

Depends on the shops hourly rate. But you are describing what most will call a stage 3 port job.

I would guess between 300-800 on the porting, then add 150-400 for the valve job includes fitting the os valves plus 40-80 for surfacing the head.

If you are going to the +1mm valves, you should also move to bronze guides.

Thanks for the reply's. :thumb:

I know oem will suffice. Call me a noob its fine; but I just can't get over the idea of moving more air in and out of combustion chamber. Since I want a high reving motor with a big cam; the research I've seen says the oversized valves will work well.
I've also been thinking of just putting in the over sized exhaust valves. (Got the valves free after a spring/retainer purchase)
But to be honest if the quotes come back to me at around 800 bucks I'm just going to skip the whole oversized valve/port work and wait for the winter and slowly build an extra head that I have.

some times you can get a good deal on a head combo. ussaully on the link forums. last year a buddy bought a bad ass kurt brown head with fp4r's daul springs head gasket and t belt for 1200.

Depends on the shops hourly rate. But you are describing what most will call a stage 3 port job.

I would guess between 300-800 on the porting, then add 150-400 for the valve job includes fitting the os valves plus 40-80 for surfacing the head.

If you are going to the +1mm valves, you should also move to bronze guides.

The machine shop work only comes out to 275 after they are all said and done but that isn't with the valve guides. I've rebuilt 3 motors with them and they do damn good work.

some times you can get a good deal on a head combo. ussaully on the link forums. last year a buddy bought a bad ass kurt brown head with fp4r's daul springs head gasket and t belt for 1200.

I will keep that in mind. I would rather build one than buy a finished product just because that's who I am, but I'll never pass up a good deal!

Where do you go for your machine work?

Theres a guy in aurora named drew and he only does heads. You give him all the parts and he rebuilds it for 350. I don't know if he does porting.

I one of my heads done by him and it was fantastic work.

Where do you go for your machine work?

Theres a guy in aurora named drew and he only does heads. You give him all the parts and he rebuilds it for 350. I don't know if he does porting.

I one of my heads done by him and it was fantastic work.

Long story short the car is in Omaha Nebraska, where I am from. I threw a big'ol bone to a trusted friend to assemble the motor and get the car up here. I'm so stupid busy with work I'd never get it done anyway.

The machine shop is called "dalys", they do it all besides the port work.
...Do you have drew's number or a way to get in contact with him?

I'm really only looking for tool work out of a machine shop. Because I CANNOT find a f)#*@%g spring compressor that works with the 4g63 head, the 275 price tag from the machine shop includes re-assembly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back