The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

How much should this fix cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daem0n

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Wheeling, Illinois
On Friday I was doing a substantial amount of highway driving, probably 100-150 miles in total. I pull into a shop to get some food, wait for the car to cool down 3 minutes, shut it off then got some food and came back. The motor will turn over, but there's some hesitation, almost wheezing as it barely reaches its idle. 2 or 3 seconds after the motor turns over, it dies. On the second attempt to get it running, I gave it some throttle, but again there is hesitation and 2-3 seconds after starting it will die.

I took it to a mechanic, the problem is a bad camshaft angle sensor. The bill will be a minimum of $800.

My question is, how much does a CAS cost? How hard would this be if I attempted to fix it myself?

wow 800?? i know on a 1G it takes like 10 minutes to change it i have like 3 spares lying around from the junk, i guess 2G is more complicated..but wow 800 thats alot id try it myself
if it meant saving that much it might take you a long time but with a good manual you can pull it off :thumb:

Defiant said:
How good a mechanic are you?

Uh, well. If something as simple as an oil change can go from zero to bad after attempting to remove the oil drain bolt with me, then I would say... Borderline atrocious?

I just had the same problem not to long ago and I'm a total beginner at mechanics. The hardest part was getting the cam gear off, but I used air tools and it came off easily. The CAS you just plug in and bolt it down, easy. Save money!

By the way, I saw a CAS for sale on ebay for like 6 dollars, I bought a new one for 50 something at a local auto parts store. 800 is RaPe.

just make sure u dont lose any of the parts, then put everything back where u got it from taking pictures as u go, at the end if all the parts are back in ur good to go!!!

Got a 93 CAS for 20 at bone yard easy. Dont know about doing a 95. Thought they were about 300 new. Like to know where to get one new for 50. Good luck getting your tools dirty.

Whatca do is go to a bone yard and get a CAS off a 1G and throw it onto your 2G and wire it up.

Will fix your problems and you wont have to mess with the 2G CAS right now.

I had a friend who was out driving somewhere and his car did the SAMETHING.

We called are other friend and he showed up with a 1G CAS, threw it on my friends 2G and had it running in like 20 minutes and he drove it home.

I bought 3 1G CAS's at my local "U Wrench It" auto yard for $3.95 each last week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back