The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How is my porting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandTSI

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2005
Charlottetown, Prince_Edward_Island_Canada
Pics are kinda crappy I know. And dont mine the sheen of rust on the o2 housing. I wiped it down a couple hours ago but I still have to smooth everything out and polish so its a non issue.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Its gasket matched to a 2.5 inch exhaust gasket. Theres still plenty of material there though. And I was gonna pick up a flapwheel today, but all they had were 3" ones which are to big to use

Personally I have a few reservations about excessive pre-turbine porting that I won't get into right now. Having said that you're port job should be very effective at reducing boost creep.
One other thing you can consider for the final polish are cross buffs as seen here:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...1&Ntt=crossbuffs&searchinresults=false&N=+115

I'm not saying that they're necessary but they really do create a true mirror finish with much less time and labor than other methods. I use them on all my porting. Medium grade then finish with Very Fine. They are used with light oil (WD-40) at medium speed.
Just something to consider.

www.eastwood.com sells a port and polish kit and the carbide bits for steel and aluminum.

The kit works great i used it on my evo III and now I have a mirror shine and very smooth steel. Looks almost professional and it only took about 1hr to do.

That must be an extra large 2.5" O2 gasket OMG , I don't remember mine being that large & was gasket matched as well. Overall looks pretty good, a few sanding drums & then finishing it off with a flapper wheel will give you a nice smooth polished finish. Only area I would consider if you want to help prevent boost creep (if you think it will be an issue for your setup) is remove materal where the WG passage enters back into the exhaust flow on the O2 housing. If you take some of the wall back it allows a larger WG outlet passage.

Well i got off my ass finally and did some more work. Some more porting and a bit of polishing. Heres the final result. The porting isn't mirror smooth but its all smooth as hell to the touch so its good enough for me.

Removed some more material around the wastegate merge area.

Turbine housing inlet

Turbine outlet

And the manifold. I didn't bother to port the runners as I wasn't going into the head.

Heres an idea of how much material was removed from the manifold and turbine inlet. The black gasket is the stock piece.

And I finally fixed my broken manifold stud which is the reason i pulled all the hot side in the first place. I re tapped all the holes, new studs and new gaskets everywhere on the hot side. If nothing fixing that broken stud will help with gas mileage and maybe let me make a little more power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back