The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Rate my porting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelsons91AWD

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Smyrna, Tennessee
Hey all,

I just got done spent the weekend ripping the cat apart, working on curing boost creep.

RATE MY PORITNG BEFORE I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!

this is the last time i want to do it so i want to do it right, let me know what you think.

This is an EVO 3 16G.

(ohh and just FYI everything was already ported for More flow actually 2 times already. this porting is just to ELIMINATE BOOST CREEP)

Attachments

• P1010374.JPG
    P1010374.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 586
  • P1010376.JPG
    P1010376.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 584
  • P1010377.JPG
    P1010377.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 576
Looks good to me! How well does the O2 mate up to the turbine housing? It looks like it will match pretty closely.

UMR98GSX said:
Looks good to me! How well does the O2 mate up to the turbine housing? It looks like it will match pretty closely.

setting the gasket on both of them there is close no no difference.

good to hear that!!

any others?

I agree with the cleanup. a sandpaper wheel should do wonders for smoothing it out. Any reason you decided to remove the divider as opposed to simply porting?

O2 housing looks nice. Why did you port behind the wastegate door for?

Also, have fun taking out those two broken turbo bolts. :D

TimG said:
O2 housing looks nice. Why did you port behind the wastegate door for?

Also, have fun taking out those two broken turbo bolts. :D

i started with a carbide bit, then i used 120 grit sandpaper and a dremel to clean it up, it is actually very smooth.

thanks, i ported behind the door so the flapper could open the full 90degrees :)

ohh you bastard, you noticed those damn bolts. :mad:

i am going to work on that tommrow, Those bolts were brand new, put them in 500 miles ago, with fresh aniseize, didnt force anything they went in smooth. and i got to take them out and snap. i was pissed. :toobad:

Ohh and the reason i cut the divider is becuase i heard it helped eliminate creep, and i am trying everything i can while i have it all apart.

dont feel like pulling it apart again.

Nelsons91AWD said:
thanks, i ported behind the door so the flapper could open the full 90degrees :)

ohh you bastard, you noticed those damn bolts. :mad:

90 degrees eh? It's too bad the flapper door only opens about 30-35 degrees. :D Porting behind is pointless.

The key is simple. You want the flapper door to open more. It's a simple function of pressure. The exhaust gas wants to follow the path of least resistance (to a low pressure area in the exhaust). The fastest way when combining an EVO3 16G turbo and a 2G O2 sensor housing is THROUGH the turbine wheel and NOT out the flapper door.

Easiest way to eliminate creep is to port the wastegate port on the O2 sensor housing to match the turbo half, port the tiny hole the wastegate gases have to travel through at the end of the O2 housing and cut and shorten the wastegate arm (not the actuator arm but the small arm on the turbo housing which pivots the wastegate door. This will open the door up more and you'll control creep well. It's worked well for me in about 10 cases now.

TimG said:
90 degrees eh? It's too bad the flapper door only opens about 30-35 degrees. :D Porting behind is pointless.

thanks for the info i did not know that. how does my wastegate hole look to you?

I like how you split the divider between the wastegate and turbo dump in the O2 housing. Let me know how it goes. It should allow an equal pressure gradient between the two halves and make things a lot better (in theory).

Nelsons91AWD said:
Hey all,

I just got done spent the weekend ripping the cat apart, working on curing boost creep.

RATE MY PORITNG BEFORE I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!

this is the last time i want to do it so i want to do it right, let me know what you think.

This is an EVO 3 16G.

(ohh and just FYI everything was already ported for More flow actually 2 times already. this porting is just to ELIMINATE BOOST CREEP)
kinda sloppy, but not bad for a first try.. how's my porting look to you?
www.spooled.org/serv.html for my work

It will probably still creep if you don't have a cat and have a high flowing intake. I have a slow boy racing ported 02 housing where they milled out the the divider and I don't think it helped any. I creep to 21 psi, use to be alittle worse with the smic.

I decided to just get water injection LOL

TimG said:
I like how you split the divider between the wastegate and turbo dump in the O2 housing. Let me know how it goes. It should allow an equal pressure gradient between the two halves and make things a lot better (in theory).

I will let you know when i get it backtogether in a day or 2. :thumb:

Camera flashes usually make things look worse. Overall looks pretty good, maybe could use a going over with a flapper wheel, but it might just be the pics. What kind of antiseize did you use on the bolts? Get the high temp 2600 F stuff, most of the other stuff will just burn off. If thata doesn't get rid of the boost creep, I don't know what will (other then external of course) Is that still a stock flapper or have you upgraded it & enlarged the the WG hole?

truwarrior said:
It will probably still creep if you don't have a cat and have a high flowing intake. I have a slow boy racing ported 02 housing where they milled out the the divider and I don't think it helped any. I creep to 21 psi, use to be alittle worse with the smic.

I decided to just get water injection LOL

actually i had a cut divider before this porting and i still had creep. this time around i ported it even more, and actully ported the things that oldman said to port, that have cured creep on MANY cases. here is the link.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186525

you should probally try this to fix your creep problem.

:thumb:

daren_p said:
Camera flashes usually make things look worse. Overall looks pretty good, maybe could use a going over with a flapper wheel, but it might just be the pics. What kind of antiseize did you use on the bolts? Get the high temp 2600 F stuff, most of the other stuff will just burn off. If thata doesn't get rid of the boost creep, I don't know what will (other then external of course) Is that still a stock flapper or have you upgraded it & enlarged the the WG hole?

i had copper antiseize not sure of the temp rating, its the stock flapper , i did mild porting on the wastegate hole, i definetly took off material but i was worried about the flapper sealing.

Nelsons91AWD said:
i had copper antiseize not sure of the temp rating, its the stock flapper , i did mild porting on the wastegate hole, i definetly took off material but i was worried about the flapper sealing.

Well like I said, you have done more then enough porting in the areas that require it, to stop the boost creep. If you still have creep when you put it all back together the only other thing it could be is the size of the wg hole. You might have to upgrade the flapper & bore out the hole abit.

daren_p said:
Well like I said, you have done more then enough porting in the areas that require it, to stop the boost creep. If you still have creep when you put it all back together the only other thing it could be is the size of the wg hole. You might have to upgrade the flapper & bore out the hole abit.

went out and did another modification to the flapper, welded a new pin on the flapper arm wich moves the acuator arm up a bit higher and makes the flapper open 2X as much. All in all the porting and this mod RID ME OF MY CREEP :)

:thumb:

i turned my boost down to 12lbs and it crept to 14

i turned my boost to 15 it stayed at 15 all the way to redline

i turned my boost to 17 and it stayed all the way

now i am at 19 and its holding solid :)

i am pretty damn happy, i am gonna go have a few beers :rocks:

Congrads bro

(I would of went the loud way and got an o2 dump) :)

Nice, glad you got it running, I cut my o2 housing like that as well and matched a gasket up to it, boost holds too, Im running stock 10 psi right now, and the most Ive seen it do was creep to 12 for a second and then back. How did you take them bolts out, A vise grip should have done the job but im curious, plus did you retap the holes? If not, they are m10 x 1.25 thread.

ITSME4G63 said:
Nice, glad you got it running, I cut my o2 housing like that as well and matched a gasket up to it, boost holds too, Im running stock 10 psi right now, and the most Ive seen it do was creep to 12 for a second and then back. How did you take them bolts out, A vise grip should have done the job but im curious, plus did you retap the holes? If not, they are m10 x 1.25 thread.

haha those bolts were fun, i drilled the bolts out, then actually went a bit larger and took out the threads because i was sick of threading bolts into that housing,

Now i have some bolts running through there with Nuts on the bottom of them, no more broken bolts for me :)

ohh yea and i have zero exhaust leaks :rocks:

exile said:
Congrads bro

(I would of went the loud way and got an o2 dump) :)

i actually gave that a shot also and still had creep!!!

too bad i really liked the 02 dump :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back