The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

14b Cold Side Porting.. Review my porting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Hill

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2005
Polk, Tennessee
I ported my friends 14b for him and I got the idea of porting the cold side. So I started porting it but I kept measuring how much metal I had left so I didnt cut all the way through. Please give your opinions and if you have any suggestions please feel free to say.

Unported
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ported
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 14b unported.JPG
    14b unported.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 509
  • 14b ported.JPG
    14b ported.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 520
The porting looks great! Are you going to port the compressor outlet too?

I was under the impression that porting the compressor inlet, drastically lowers efficiency. The wheel can't compress the air as effectively without the proper clearances.

I dont think that would do anything except increase the velocity of the air going into the turbo, it's a term called "coning" If you look close the diameter around the actual compressor wheel is the same as before which wont do anything to hurt efficiency

:thumb:

GVR4592 said:
I was under the impression that porting the compressor inlet, drastically lowers efficiency. The wheel can't compress the air as effectively without the proper clearances.
Could you give a more detailed answer? I am just intrested into why it would lower the effeciency so much? I only ported the outer part of the compessor. Around and next to the fins are untouched. I just took the lip (I guess thats what you would call it) off.

PRESSURIZED said:
I dont think that would do anything except increase the velocity of the air going into the turbo, it's a term called "coning" If you look close the diameter around the actual compressor wheel is the same as before which wont do anything to hurt efficiency

:thumb:
Thats exact what I done.. I just took the lip off so it could suck more air into the compressor. Like I said in my last post "around the fins is untouched".

K_Hill said:
Could you give a more detailed answer? I am just intrested into why it would lower the effeciency so much? I only ported the outer part of the compessor. Around and next to the fins are untouched. I just took the lip (I guess thats what you would call it) off.

In the picture it looked like you ported it all the way. If you didn't port in between the wheel and the housing it shouldn't affect efficiency.

GVR4592 said:
In the picture it looked like you ported it all the way. If you didn't port in between the wheel and the housing it shouldn't affect efficiency.
Yea its hard to tell in the picture. I can see why you meant it would lose effiency if I ported around the fins. Thats why I didnt. :D

K_Hill said:
Yea its hard to tell in the picture. I can see why you meant it would lose effiency if I ported around the fins. Thats why I didnt. :D

Well you "could" port around the fins, but then you aould have to install a 16g CHRA!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back