The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Horrible LAST ONWER!!! What HLAs(Lifters) are these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduran1220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi everyone im looking for some feed back on these HLAs. Awhile back I had lots of help from the community & I am very greatful for that!!!!!!!
Recently I discovered not only was the timing belt was installed incorrectly due to oil sprock not properly set to phase by the last owner. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/476366-horrible-last-timing-belt-job.html
And even now I still tend to find more surprises hidden in my DSM due to the last onwer -_-
Removing everything & properly storing them in a few ice cude trays I didnt notice the HLAs at this time.
Upon arrival dropping off Head, I learned that the HC is probably not the original. It was probably rebuilt of course thats a guess from the machine shop I toke my HC too. The HC has been deck before, and he showed me. The same machining marks on the head were on the block as well. I left the gasket on for surface protection with a graphite composite head gasket.
At this point im very cconcerned driving back home to see what else I find.
Pistons were great no impact from valves, as for the piston walls...lets just say the wifey would loved an iron cast mirror.
Assembling the head I saw the HLAs...correct me if im wrong but these look like 1g HLAs on a 2g 7bolt head

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-18-04-13-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-18-04-13-32.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2014-04-18-04-13-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-18-04-13-46.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 124
Hi everyone im looking for some feed back on these HLAs. Awhile back I had lots of help from the community & I am very greatful for that!!!!!!!
Recently I discovered not only was the timing belt was installed incorrectly due to oil sprock not properly set to phase by the last owner. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/476366-horrible-last-timing-belt-job.html
And even now I still tend to find more surprises hidden in my DSM due to the last onwer -_-
Removing everything & properly storing them in a few ice cude trays I didnt notice the HLAs at this time.
Upon arrival dropping off Head, I learned that the HC is probably not the original. It was probably rebuilt of course thats a guess from the machine shop I toke my HC too. The HC has been deck before, and he showed me. The same machining marks on the head were on the block as well. I left the gasket on for surface protection with a graphite composite head gasket.
At this point im very cconcerned driving back home to see what else I find.
Pistons were great no impact from valves, as for the piston walls...lets just say the wifey would loved an iron cast mirror.
Assembling the head I saw the HLAs...correct me if im wrong but these look like 1g HLAs on a 2g 7bolt head

If you want to sell them I will definitely buy them let me know via pm:thumb: Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue95zJ3wMHU

Before taking the bait here and answering quickly, think about this for a while.

What exactly is wrong with running 1g HLA's?

Those are 1g lifters, but like the others have said I would just give them a good clean and bleed then re-install them.

They will last just fine.

What exactly is wrong with running 1g HLA's?
Absolutely nothing. Every DSM I've ever owned has them installed.

Folks seem to think the large-bore lifter is a miracle cure for lifter tick, but all of my engines have been quiet.

Nothing really...

They just tend to tick/get clogged easier because of the tiny oil passage

Bravo everyone that replied..... some of the smart ones on here too knew what was up!

There is NOTHING wrong with 1g lifters. Guess what.... if your lifters are ticking, isn't that a sign that something in your motor isn't happy. What makes a lifter tick? Why is there anything OTHER THAN oil going through that lifter? What does taking a ticking lifter and exchanging it for one with bigger passages that don't clog as easily on a motor that is showing signs of puking itself do?

These are all mostly rhetorical. One of my big reasons is that we're not looking for oil flow, we're looking for oil pressure. Flow would be good for cooling things with oil, pressure is good for protecting things with oil. Larger holes increase flow on a system that flows the same static amount from the oil pump while reducing the pressure they have to push oil out. This is _BAD_. If you want your motor to shit the bed you'll replace ticking 1g lifters with large bore lifters and "call it a day" (I hate that phrase btw). Shortly after doing this, maybe not so shortly.... you'll continue w/ clean oil changes all the while that whatever junk was clogging the old lifters is still very much alive int the oiling system. In many cases after material is lost the tolerances fall out of spec and more material begins to eat itself off of whatever is out of spec.... compounding the issue.

tldr; 3g lifters are not the answer to much of anything. I'm not sure why people think they're an upgrade. It's that classic American "bigger is better" idea.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back