The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

home made sheet metal intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's a nice smim bro , man I wish I had a tig welder,or even equipment to make one. Nice welds, not many people can weld aluminum that easily. Great fab project mad props. Really wish I could make one. Did they teach you aluminum welding in school to? I went to welding school and a buddy of mine didn't touch aluminum in community college. Welding & fabrication is an awesome hobby.

Everything I know and understand led me to what I made the runner length is about 6 inches I didn't arbitrarily pick a number I've been through automotive school as well as high performance engines classes.

What peak power are you aiming for? I was shooting for 7500 -8000 with mine. I'd expect 6" to be in the 9-10k area?

I love how theres so many experts coming out of the closet.
But shit since we got so many experts here, break out the expensive as #### fluidynamics software and lets test some shit out!

I certainly hope this is not directed towards me. I actually built an intake, and have some data to back it up, not that I am an expert or even claimed that I am. I also included hard facts that I learned while researching the subject.

I learned mig and stick in high school at the vocational school I went to. I learned how to tig in the field out of necessity. I didn't learn aluminum til a few years ago. Like I said in an earlier post I work for hmf racing here in ohio I do nothing but weld all week and I love it I've been welding since I was 15 and ill be 25 next year. As far as any reports from SIM all I know is what they posted above. Thanks for all the compliments on the smim im particualrly proud of it after reading all of the praise and compliments on it im gonna make some other stuff now.

I honestly haven't set any goals so to speak because im just like alot of other people im always changeing my mind about something.

Cool I started welding at 15 to and I'm about to be 21 now. Pretty much all I do all week also but just at work, sux I can't afford a rig yet. Its been a cuple mnths since I last touched aluminum. Once again great job bro glad to see another good welder around the site.

It is definetly a good skill to have or know someone who knows how to. I've been able to do alot of fab work and other craziness that I never would have been able to do with out knowing how to weld I worked for a company that made hummers for lockheed martin they were urban combat training simulators pretty much a life size video game. Those were a blast to work on and build.

I took a peek at this manifold yesterday. Very nice welds. It's good and light too. I hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism. I probably would have used a larger plenum if I were you. Something in the neighborhood of 4 cubic feet. But, the largest improvements can be done in the runners. Aside from length, shape is also important. Consider making square shaped runners to match the port shape in the head. Taper from a large diameter at the plenum, down to the port diameter at the head. This way, shape it held the same throughout and it will be much easier to fit to the head flange without disrupting flow.

Great example:

Attachments

• squaretapered.png
    squaretapered.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,316
I am all for constructive criticism ill definetly look into making a few changes and see what I come up with. Thanks a ton for all the feed back and input guys.

I think if my math is correct that's something like 6900 square inches and that's huge that's like 1100 gallons of water I think you ment to put a decimal in front of that 4 but I have been wrong before if im wrong you all can point and laugh.

6061 cracks and breaks when you bend it.

Most 6061 is "T6" condition, which is a solution heat treatment and artificial aging

6061-T6 cracks but 6061-T0 (dead soft) does not.

You can easily anneal aluminum with an acetylene torch. A great example of torch annealing is Jesse James' chopper tank fab in Motorcycle Mania.

Well after all the feedback and information from everyone I decided to make another one. Let me know what you think of this one.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_12-29-20_771.jpg
    2011-11-18_12-29-20_771.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 2011-12-01_07-38-20_90.jpg
    2011-12-01_07-38-20_90.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 2011-12-01_07-38-34_112.jpg
    2011-12-01_07-38-34_112.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 151
Its a work in progress making some changes to the flange to allow for better fitment and just have to cut out the throttle body flange and the end caps.

Wow. That looks fantastic. Those are show quality welds.

Thanks again for the compliments on my welds and craftsmanship. I should have some more pictures of the manifold tomorrow. Just gotta finish working on the sides so they're as symetrical as possible.

Heres a little sneak peak at how far I've gotten today. Hopefully both sides will be finished today along with the back side.

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_12-35-01_89.jpg
    2011-12-09_12-35-01_89.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 142
Just need the flange and the back and clean it up.

Attachments

• 2011-12-10_15-43-39_462.jpg
    2011-12-10_15-43-39_462.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2011-12-10_15-43-49_543.jpg
    2011-12-10_15-43-49_543.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 134
Looking great man. Lets get them tested and up on the market :)

Depending on price id be down to buy one of these for my car. Maybe you can get some before and after dyno runs with this manifold on your car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back