The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help! Timing belt rubbing on oil pump sprocket (pics!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

but

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2009
Ridgecrest, California
So after my rebuild I went to crank for oil pressure,and noticed my timing jumped fast,and the belt started shredding on the motor side. What did I do wrong? I wonder if I put on the crank plate wrong because it seems the belt is not straight and being pushed out or in. My belt is also rubbing on the plate,and its rubbing on the front case underneath the oil pump sprocket. Any suggestion is appreciated!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mm thats weired do you have your oil pump on right, the belt should be close but not rubbing, i would redo it and see what happens again.

mine has been like that forever with no problem... i inspect it here and then to see if its getting worn but, no it seems fine....

I didnt properly position the tensioner pulley,so i'm wondering if maybe that caused this. It was perfectly fine turning over by hand. On the plates for the crank I noticed the one on the back has little tabs. Do they point towards the block or away?

Thanks for the help any other help is appreciated.

Yeah I made sure when I put the pan on,I measured all the bolts and seperated the two. I was reading that the plates in between the crank sprocket are used as a belt guide,and if they are put on wrong it will cause this. Im having a hard time finding a picture of exactly how they go on.

Yeah thats what happend to me...Just re-do what you did and make sure the tenioner is on correctly and spocket is fully seated. it worked for me:rocks:

Im pretty sure is that plate that sits in ## crank pulley. I have put it on backwards and had a similar problem like urs. you should be able to see wich way it goes cause is going to have teeth marks in one side from the crank pulley sitting against it.

I straightened out the plate it looked a little bent,but not to bad. I put a spare belt on just to turn it over by hand,and its not rubbing right now but its still very close to the front case unless this is normal? Maybe the tensioner pulley was just to loose?

There are 2 dowel pins on the engine block that align the front case before you bolt it down. Sorta like the dowel pins for the transmission and the head. It ensures that the front case is installed properly.

You did remove the front case during your rebuild, right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back