The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

HELP!!! Squeaky Noise WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LextownGST

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2005
Lexington, Kentucky
ok guys......i need some major help! for a couple of months, when I started my car there was this piercing squeaky noise that was awful!! I was told that to fix this problem, you needed to change the alternator belt. So I dd that as well as the 2 other belts that were around there. Obviously this did not fix the problem. I know for a fact that I need to change my time n belt because it has never been changed before. Would this cause the problem of squeaking when it gets old? Also, when I push my clutch or brake in, the noise goes away for a minute or so and then starts back up. Any help would be wonderful!! Oh and by the way, I have a 1998 Mitsu Eclipse GST. It has 92000 miles on it so far. THANKS!!

I have the same problem. However, I pinpointed it! It was the belt that drives the power steering pump. I fixed it with a little belt dressing. I do not know if yours was the same as mine however. When I started my car, the squeek would be bad, and if you rev it a lil bit it gets louder. When you reach 3500 RPM it should start to mellow. Rev it up to there and drop it a couple times and it stops, if it is a belt. Also, I knew it was my power steering because when I turned the wheel while it was squeeking the steering wheel would start to jiggle. If this does not fix the problem PM me or leave another post with a little more detail. GL!

:thumb:

if it is the belt making noise, put an OEM belt on. the belt squeel will stop. they arent expensive and they dont squeel like other belts will.

Hmm. I had a similar problem with my ALT belt squeaking like hell then soon exploding. I went through 3 belts before I decided to take everything apart. Turns out, the water pump outer-most pulley was put on backwards :toobad:. Yea it doesn't sound too bad but it was enough to make the serpentine belt pop off by 1 or 2 teeth and it would slip at high rpms and actually make the O2 signal go to 0 volts WTF. Obviously, it would lean-out like hell and it would pretty much take a crap at ~5500 rpms.

I dont think this is your issue but it sure makes a good candidate.

Good Luck,
Erik:dsm: :dsm:

thanks you all for all the help you are giving me!! I'm learning alot and able to do alot as well!!

LextownGST said:
What is a harmonic balancer and what does it do??

The harmonic balancer, or vibration damper, is a device connected to the crankshaft to lessen the torsional vibration in a car. Yours may be going bad, so just take a look at it and see what condition it's in.

dedlewamp said:
The harmonic balancer, or vibration damper, is a device connected to the crankshaft to lessen the torsional vibration in a car. Yours may be going bad, so just take a look at it and see what condition it's in.
you beat me to it LOL, yea check it

harmonic balancer....so its a belt obviously right? LOL i dunno??.......oh and where is it located?

LextownGST said:
harmonic balancer....so its a belt obviously right? LOL i dunno??.......oh and where is it located?

No, it's a balancer. It looks somewhat like a pully. It's connected to the crankshaft. You do know what a crankshaft is, right? If you are still unsure of what it is, or where it goes, I'd recommend either searching around a little bit for some more information, or having someone with a little more knowledge help you out for the first time.

You could adjust the tension on your belt as well. My car squealed like crazy on start up after putting on a new alternator belt. It just takes a 12 mm wrench and about 10 minutes to adjust. It was a bit loose on mine, and after adjusting it, no more squealing.

Belt are made of rubber, so they will stretch. You can tighten them. Just disconnect your battery before you go messing around in there.

Your timing belt is a geared belt so it won't be squeaking.

I had this problem. Actually I just fixed it today. ;) It was the alternator belt. Honestly it didn't seem that loose, but I guess it was. I tightened up the tensioner bolt (the bolt located on the alternator that drops into that little "U" shaped bracket) and now the squeak is gone. I'm so glad too! I would always look around when I started my car because I didn't want anyone to see what was making that horrid squeal!

Hope that helps!

Check the AC compressor belt too, that might be the one making the noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back