The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

help diagnosis stall out condition

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khartley

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2004
Faith, South_Dakota
The car had been running well, but I went to start it one night and it would start, but then the wideband would go from 12.5 to max lean in a second and the car would stall out. I replaced the fuel strainer and fuel filter, even drained the fuel and replaced it. After that it would start and idle, but if I tried to rev it would fall on its face because it would lean out so badly. I replaced the tb because mine was sticking and leaking, now its back to starting and stalling. I can hear the fuel pump whining, and fuel pressure goes to about 40 psi for the second that its running.

Any ideas? Possible the pump is bad though it still works?

The car had been running well, but I went to start it one night and it would start, but then the wideband would go from 12.5 to max lean in a second and the car would stall out. I replaced the fuel strainer and fuel filter, even drained the fuel and replaced it. After that it would start and idle, but if I tried to rev it would fall on its face because it would lean out so badly. I replaced the tb because mine was sticking and leaking, now its back to starting and stalling. I can hear the fuel pump whining, and fuel pressure goes to about 40 psi for the second that its running.

Any ideas? Possible the pump is bad though it still works?

Sounds like somthing is clogged how old are the injectors, or worn out how old is the o2 sensor ?

Well I don't think its the TPS, cause I switched tb's and the problem remained the same. I will try cleaning my maf again, but I don't think that is it. I don't have an extra ECU, but it was just gone through a couple hundred miles ago with new capacitors put in.

Any other suggestions? It starts and revs to 2500 rpms, and then immediately leans out and dies.

Have not checked cam sensor, but I will. I still haven't figured this out.

*just swapped cam sensor and tps sensor, no change. Still fires quickly, revs to 2500, then stalls. No change whether I give it gas or don't. This car can frustrate me so badly sometimes.....

Well mate I'm in the same club. New Fuel Filter, Walbro 255, Stock Injectors, new TB. Car starts up, without me pushing the gas revs up to the 2500 or so range then dies from running lean.

This sounds identical to my problems. Let me do a quick recap for every one.

I have a 93 Talon DL (1.8 n/t)

Replaced Parts: Fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel injectors, and fuel pressure regulator - All due to rusting.
Also Replaced: Air filter, The hose/tubing that goes from filter can to TB. The throttle bottle with IAC Valve && TPS. All of this was due to idle surge and dry rot.
Lastly replaced: Plugs, Wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor, and o2 sensor. And battery. Alternator tests good.

My issues started after having all the fuel stuff replaced. It would _seem_ like it would just die for no reason. The replacement of all the breathing components fixed my idle surge ( thanks to this forum ) but did not improve the cut offs at all. After a couple of days of pushing the limits on this little thing, what I have come up with, is that it dies ANY TIME the RPMs are held above 2800 for any thing longer than 2 seconds. Does not matter if I'm in gear, in neutral, or just sitting perfectly still. It just dies. No stutter, sputter, stagger, or jerking. Just Dead. I have to remove the key and start it back up. On top of THAT, if i don't wait atleast 10 seconds, it simply dies as soon as it starts. Also notice a lean smelling exhaust, but why would my engine be flooding out? I would love for some one to come up with something.

Im in the same boat with you all but worse, , and I ACTUALLY TRIED ANOTHER ECU, so grrrrrrr now what, if its not the ecu please explain that now. Thanks :)

sounds to me like a fuel pump mines doin that to making a loud noise except mine will constantly spit and sputter if i try to give mine more than about 25 percent throttle.once i get it going itll cruise its just gettin it going but feel like a misfire so i changed plugs and wires same deal next im going to replace pump and filter checked maf sensor and its good, you coulda got a faulty pump also going to switch to coil on plugs once i replace the cracked valve cover got a feeling i bought a lemon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back