The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HELICOIL HEAD!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YungTlon

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2018
Pueblo, Colorado
So I believe I’m going to have to helicoil the exhaust manifold stud because the first couple threads were ripped out (previous owner) I just want to know if I’m going to have to pull the head:( id prefer not to I was wondering if I could just like fill the hole up with vassaline or something to try and catch the shavings. Because if I have to pull the head I’m going to go ape sh** and just build it and do a new hg and timing belt , water pump, etc. and quite frankly I’m only 16 and that means the car will be down for even longer! Please let me know thanks!

So I believe I’m going to have to helicoil the exhaust manifold stud because the first couple threads were ripped out (previous owner) I just want to know if I’m going to have to pull the head:( id prefer not to I was wondering if I could just like fill the hole up with vassaline or something to try and catch the shavings. Because if I have to pull the head I’m going to go ape sh** and just build it and do a new hg and timing belt , water pump, etc. and quite frankly I’m only 16 and that means the car will be down for even longer! Please let me know thanks!
Just get the appropriate heli coil as you stated and you will be just fine
No pulling of the head and a damp qtip will work fine to get any of the debris out

You just have to pull the manifold off so you can fit your drill in there, I’ve heli coiled a couple different holes in my time LOL. Just know where your oil galleys are, mark the drill bit so you don’t go too deep LOL. You’ll be fine

Apart from the central lower hole the rest are blind holes so they dont go all the way through. You will be fine depending which hole it was, and if i was you i would do them all! They are alot stronger then the alloy threads in the head

It depends on the bolt hole, one of them goes into the oiling area of the head, most of them dont, the ones that dont can be tapped and blown out with compressed air, keeping any shavings away from your turbo inlet if theres no filter on it.

I had to do this to my 7 bolt head on the, lowest left hand stud on the exhaust side. It worked out fine.

Alternatively, you can drill the hole out larger and re-tap using a 1-2mm larger diameter stud.

I did the head turbo oil feed while it was still on the block. Just go slow and back it out all the way to clear the shavings with an oil dipped qtip every full turn.

Just please measure the drill bit and tap with a good caliper before you use it. The last thing you want is a cheap chinese tool with lack of adequate tolerances cutting a whole into your head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back