1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

HELICOIL HEAD!

Posted by YungTlon, Apr 16, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. YungTlon

YungTlon Probationary Member

Joined Mar 6, 2018
    Pueblo, Colorado
    So I believe I’m going to have to helicoil the exhaust manifold stud because the first couple threads were ripped out (previous owner) I just want to know if I’m going to have to pull the head:( id prefer not to I was wondering if I could just like fill the hole up with vassaline or something to try and catch the shavings. Because if I have to pull the head I’m going to go ape sh** and just build it and do a new hg and timing belt , water pump, etc. and quite frankly I’m only 16 and that means the car will be down for even longer! Please let me know thanks!

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. K_81_K

K_81_K Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2018
    Ontario, ON, Canada
    Just get the appropriate heli coil as you stated and you will be just fine
    No pulling of the head and a damp qtip will work fine to get any of the debris out

3. 1cleangsx

1cleangsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2013
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    You just have to pull the manifold off so you can fit your drill in there, I’ve heli coiled a couple different holes in my time LOL. Just know where your oil galleys are, mark the drill bit so you don’t go too deep LOL. You’ll be fine

Street Build 878  10

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 104.64 · 1G DSM
  4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Apart from the central lower hole the rest are blind holes so they dont go all the way through. You will be fine depending which hole it was, and if i was you i would do them all! They are alot stronger then the alloy threads in the head

Road Race Build 7K  34

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It depends on the bolt hole, one of them goes into the oiling area of the head, most of them dont, the ones that dont can be tapped and blown out with compressed air, keeping any shavings away from your turbo inlet if theres no filter on it.

Drag Race Build 2K  13

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. mountain_man

mountain_man Supporting Member

Joined Apr 18, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    I had to do this to my 7 bolt head on the, lowest left hand stud on the exhaust side. It worked out fine.

Alternatively, you can drill the hole out larger and re-tap using a 1-2mm larger diameter stud.

Road Race Build 2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    I did the head turbo oil feed while it was still on the block. Just go slow and back it out all the way to clear the shavings with an oil dipped qtip every full turn.

2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Street Build 1K  8

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. YungTlon

YungTlon Probationary Member

Joined Mar 6, 2018
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks everyone!

10. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Just please measure the drill bit and tap with a good caliper before you use it. The last thing you want is a cheap chinese tool with lack of adequate tolerances cutting a whole into your head.

2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM