The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Headgasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostedmm17

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2017
Lincolnton, North_Carolina
Okay so I went into this car not knowing if it ran or not. It's a 99 Spyder GST 5speed 230k. I had to put a turbo on the car because it didn't come with one (t25).
So I went to go out coolant in it and burp the system, when I noticed as soon as I pour water in it you can see it slowly mixing with something making it brown. Then it started bubbling really bad. So I drained it out and heres what it looks like.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The compression test is as follows
Cylinder 1-0
Cylinder 2-140
Cylinder 3-100
Cylinder 4-130

Now one more thing im almost positive why all this happened. The previous owner had a 18g on the car. At first I was thinking okay so it's probably got ARP headstuds.. oh boy was I wrong, still has stock head bolts. So could the headgasket be causing all these problems?

Last edited:
If it's puking white smoke out of every orifice then coolant is obviously going places it shouldn't be going ROFL at this point if the problem keeps one-upping you at every step then I would consider taking it to a professional as suggested above or biting the bullet and either replacing the engine or pulling the engine and getting it rebuilt.

And if the coolant is disappearing faster now than it was before then it's a sign that the problem is getting worse. Not to state the obvious :D

So the valves are fine and the piston rings are fine. But all im hearing is air from the spark plug hole when I do the leak down test. I know it's not the tester because I used it on the other cylinders and it didn't do it. Just on number one. So in gonna take the head off tomorrow and get it cleaned and look at it after that. I believe since I put new head bolts in it probably made whatever crack bigger obviously. Thanks for you suggestions. Most where helpful! :beatentodeath:ROFL

So the valves are fine and the piston rings are fine. But all im hearing is air from the spark plug hole when I do the leak down test. I know it's not the tester because I used it on the other cylinders and it didn't do it. Just on number one. So in gonna take the head off tomorrow and get it cleaned and look at it after that. I believe since I put new head bolts in it probably made whatever crack bigger obviously. Thanks for you suggestions. Most where helpful! :beatentodeath:ROFL

Read through everything and I have an alternative thought(s):

I read you took the head off a few times after you bought new head bolts.....and it appears you used new STOCK head bolts correct?

If so the stockers are 1 use only bolts. They are TTY (torque to yield) meaning that you torqued them to 15 ftlbs, then 2x 90 degree turns. Those 90 degree turns torque the bolt to the yield point...meaning the bolts actually yield a bit. Once they have yielded and you take them off and try and reuse them they do not provide the same clamping force as they did when they were new. Hence why they are 1 use only.

The TTY bolts are shit for that reason which is why a lotta guys run the ARP head studs.....you can reuse them a few times (some would argue even these are 1 use only) before they are trash.

When you installed the new head bolts, did you thoroughly clean out the threads?

I had a similar issue once with coolant dissapearing after a HG change once...I chased it for a while until I cleaned the head bolt holes with a head bolt i ground into a "tap". I got sooooo much burnt shit outta the threads it was unreal. I prolly chased each thread a good 10 times until they were clean. When I put the head bolts back in you could immeadately tell they were the issue....bolt went in so smooth and even torquing it felt "better"

Not sure how you prepped the 2 mating surfaces, but personnally I have had excellent result with wet sanding both faces with a sanding block and 1000 grit wet sand paper. Gets all the crap off and will not remove any parent material.

Dunno if you did the above, but just another idea before you start dropping big $$$.

It's possible u may have a crack in the head as u can hear air coming out. Sucks. Fortunately u have an extra head. Make sure to use new head bolts or arp. I have a few 6 bolt headbolts here which I've cut slits in to use as a thread chaser u can have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back