The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Headgasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostedmm17

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2017
Lincolnton, North_Carolina
Okay so I went into this car not knowing if it ran or not. It's a 99 Spyder GST 5speed 230k. I had to put a turbo on the car because it didn't come with one (t25).
So I went to go out coolant in it and burp the system, when I noticed as soon as I pour water in it you can see it slowly mixing with something making it brown. Then it started bubbling really bad. So I drained it out and heres what it looks like.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The compression test is as follows
Cylinder 1-0
Cylinder 2-140
Cylinder 3-100
Cylinder 4-130

Now one more thing im almost positive why all this happened. The previous owner had a 18g on the car. At first I was thinking okay so it's probably got ARP headstuds.. oh boy was I wrong, still has stock head bolts. So could the headgasket be causing all these problems?

Last edited:
Did u check the valves before u installed it back? I'm willing to bet a few valves are bent/not sealing. Stem seals are to prevent the oil from going into the chamber. It will not affect your compression as bad as it is. Did u get the head decked and checked?

Just checked it with a straight edge and a feeler gauge. The surface was in spec. I guess I'll pull the head again and double check the valves. BC like in the pic above the exhaust valves on cylinder 1 look rougher then the rest of the valves.

You should do a leak down test. That will tell you why #1 has low compression.

this is true

too bad you don't have a compressor-could go to a pawn shop or harbor freight--140.00 for both from harbor freight

Coolant is disappearing faster now and the #1 spark plug is covered in oil. Also there is white smoke coming from the exhaust and when you open the oil cap. Then I looked at the exhaust manifold and found oil forming to the top of it through a crack I didn't see before, and around runner #1 is covered in oil too.

Yeah that's a long trip, I might have some free time this weekend, maybe not that much though.

If you pull the head, and the HG is the culprit, you can sometimes tell on either the gasket itself or the head/block surface where it's leaking at.

You didn't happen to use a MLS did you? Are the other spark plugs showing any sign of burning coolant?

Well if you do have enough time then that would be cool, if not it's okay. Haha

No it had a composite on it and I put a new felpro composite back on. I don't really like putting a MLS on unless everything is 100% flat.

See thats what I was looking for when I first lifted the head off and there's no marks or anything.

if you dont find anything wrong with the head-(which you most likely will) you are gonna need to take it to a shop to have checked

almost seem like you have bent valves in #1 and most likely bad guides anor or valve seals

I've done many headgasket jobs on these cars so I know that was installed right. And I check the head surface and it was well within spec. The only thing I didn't look at was the valves because everything looked like it was just a hg. so I guess in gonna do the leak down test tomorrow and finish there. I have a back up engine, just don't wanna put it in right now. Haha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back