The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*****Warning: Technical Advise Without First Hand Experience!*****

It is commonly known that header wrap does lower engine compartment temps at the expense of longevity. The heat that is normally radiated out into the engine compartment causes the metal to degrade prematurely. It probably wouldn't hurt on race day, but I wouldn't personally run it all of the time. Besides, you already have a good cold air induction system, right?

on its not necessary but it will help keep the underhood temps lower

I just put mine on as well and I have noticed the temp. gauge went up a little bit over center!
I was sitting in rush hour traffic and it went up a little more, so I got kinda worried and ordered header wrap! The only reason I did is because my radiator hose is right there and I don't trust it not to expand and blow!
My mechanic says it's not neccessary, but precautionary!

you can go 20 years without it its just somthing extra to lower the temp in the enginebay. like water wetter you dont need it but its nice to have

Originally posted by BacknBlack92ESi
Ive been meaning to get header wrap also. But just havnt gotten around to it:rolleyes:

iv got some in the closet now i just need to get a header :D

ya its simple to wrap your header......took me under an hour to take my header off, wrap it, and put it back on.....lowered the temps a bit if i was driving short distances(like under a half an hour)but if i had a long drive, or was running around in the city or something....it wouldn't make a huge difference(my test was opening the hood and feeling how hot it was under there...which obviousley isnt that accurate). it only cost me 30 bucks canadian...i might put another layer of it on to help.
the biggest problem when i put my header on was how hot my intake manifold would get.....if i put my hand on it after a long drive, it would almost be to the point where it would burn me! that isn't good on the intake side.....i'm thinking of heatsheilding the intake manifold....i already have made a heat sheild around my cut aircan and k&n....should help on long drives.

where did you get the header wrap from, like a local autozone or pepboys, or did you have to order it from somwhere, cause my header makes my engine bay damn hot

I wrapped everything. I wrapped my header, cold air intake, egr tube, and my starter. Here's the reasoning....

1. Header wrap will keep under-hood temps lower.

2. Cold air intake: if the header wrap keeps heat out of the bay, it's got
to keep colder air cooler too.

3. EGR Tube is right under the intake. It routes hot exhaust gases back
to the intake. Keep it wrapped and under hood temps will be down
ever so slightly. More important there's the injector harness as well
as a few other wires there too. I want to make sure they don't
eventually fuse together with really high mileage.

4. Starter wrap: It's been getting hot. There's a red rubber sleeve on
the 12 volt battery supply to the starter. It's been discolored from all
the heat.

I'm trying to keep the heat out of the bay and the cold air, cold. One thing to keep in mind is that header wrap will void most if not all header warranty. Here's why. The header wrap DOES keep the heat out of engine bay. It insulates the runners of the header but it also prevents the header from cooling down. The welds may seperate due to the extensive heat or the tubing of the runner may crack all together.

I've had my header and CAI wrapped for over a year now. I would recomend wrapping it BEFORE you install it to ensure proper wrapping and tightness. I feel confident with the greddy 4-1 stainless steel header I shouldn't have to worry about it cracking any time soon.

Oh, one more thing. With the header on the car it took me roughly an hour just to wrap it. With it off I took even more care using both 2" wide and 1" wide wrapping. The second (hopefully last) time took me over an hour and a half just wrapping it, not the labor to get it all off.
Doug

header wrap will also decrease the life of your header if it isn't stainless steel. this is because it traps moisture in. if you live in a damp climate and don't drive it very often, your header will rust faster....i'm personaly not worried about it myself, but it's something to think about.

Did your car come from the factory with header-wrap? No. Then why ask if it's necessary?

Is it beneficial? Yes. Lower underhood/intake temps. And keep those heat shields on.

but did your car come from the factory with a header???NO
but it is deffinately benifical...as a iposted earlier it will definately lower the temps under the hood......and wrap as thick as you can.... when i did mine, i was worried about running out... and i had 10 feet left over....enough to do a whole other exhaust runner.....i wanna do another layer on it.....and maybe wrap my intake and stuff.....the colder the air the better on the intake, and the more you can cool your exhaust, the lower your underhood temps will be......

Originally posted by workin_on_it
but did your car come from the factory with a header???NO
but it is deffinately benifical...as a iposted earlier it will definately lower the temps under the hood......and wrap as thick as you can.... when i did mine, i was worried about running out... and i had 10 feet left over....enough to do a whole other exhaust runner.....i wanna do another layer on it.....and maybe wrap my intake and stuff.....the colder the air the better on the intake, and the more you can cool your exhaust, the lower your underhood temps will be......

LOL! You're right. My ride did NOT come with a header, it came with a turbo exhaust manifold, which is HOTTER by the way. ;)

This was a thread related to cars using header wrap and what the pro's and con's are of using it on header. Since I currently am not aware of ANY after-market or manufacturer produced header that uses heat sheilds on a header your (aovsi) comment about using the factory shield does not apply. Also the manner in which you presented the comment was not exactly beneficial in the approach you took to present it.

If you'd like to give a comparison of a turbo manifold with vs without the heatshield, stock turbo manifold with heatshield vs turbo header wrapped vs stock manifold with heat shield, or any beneficial information that isn't condescending then this is the place for it.
Doug

Originally posted by Doug99RS
This was a thread related to cars using header wrap and what the pro's and con's are of using it on header. Since I currently am not aware of ANY after-market or manufacturer produced header that uses heat sheilds on a header your (aovsi) comment about using the factory shield does not apply. Also the manner in which you presented the comment was not exactly beneficial in the approach you took to present it.

If you'd like to give a comparison of a turbo manifold with vs without the heatshield, stock turbo manifold with heatshield vs turbo header wrapped vs stock manifold with heat shield, or any beneficial information that isn't condescending then this is the place for it.
Doug

I have a MUCH better solution:

http://www.hpcoatings.com/exhaust_coatings.htm

Enjoy. :thumb:

Hey guys,
is anyone here using heat wrap?
My buddy has some on his downpipe and o2 dump tube and it seems to keep the engine cooler, i wondered if it truly worked.

Thanks

Here you go...

http://www.designengineering.com/products.html

Summit and other places stock this stuff.

Turbo Wrap

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Intake/LICP/UICP wrap

Wrap kit

Wrap seperate

My favorite heat screen. 1000 degrees direct heat one side 2000 radiant (not touching) the other. Get the wrap seperate and put this over the wrap :D. In the wrap kit silicone spray is used to water proof the wrap and ss band clamps (look like cv boot clamps to me) are used to hold it on. The heat screen is very water proof and put over the wrap really keeps the heat in and moisture out.

Or you can ceramic coat your manifold, turbo housing and down pipe for the same results with out the dipered look... (Jet Hot and a few other places do this)

Also, if your stuck on heat wrap what I have done in the past is paint the pipes first with VHT Silver (the break caliper paint) it makes the pipe look a lot nicer and just like any paint helps keep water and other elements from rusting or ruining metal surface. Then you can wrap it once it's dry. It's also makes the pipe where you can wrap around (if you have any spots) look really nice too.

The paint does have a high enough temp raiting for your entire down pipe right off the turbo and not melt off. I have it on mine now and it still looks bling now after about 5000k...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back