The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thermo-wrap is an insulation of some sort is it not? The basics of insulation is to hold heat in or out or basically just to resist the transfer of heat. It should in all theory hold heat out as well to keep it from getting hot under the hood, however I have never really tested this so I really have no idea. Nor do I really know if Thermo-wrap has a R value like insulation does. Anybody?

If you want to really do something that will help, have it ceramic coated, it holds heat out or in depending and does it very well and also leaves a nice and durable finish.

I wrapped my downpipe with thermotec wrap. It definetly works at holding heat in, I can touch the downpipe with my hand while the car is running (don't try this at home kids, I just slipped OMG).

Wrapping an uicp would help to keep radiant heat from warming the piping, BUT after going WOT the pipe would take much longer to cool down since it is insulated. I would get a thermal coating applied as was already mentioned.

well, it keeps you from having to put any sort of heat shield on, it keeps the heat inside the header which is supposed to improve flow. I don't know why but that's what it does. It does really work though, i've seen tests and talked to some mechanical engineers about it and its good. as for rusting stuff out, i guess it could hold moisture against the exhaust, which wouldn't be good, but its a tradeoff i guess. as for using it on the stock manifold, it think it would be pretty hard to wrap it, but it should work anyways.

I didn't want to get a header b/c I want to go turbo some time. I wrapped my stock mani. It really lowered my under hood temp. I hope it doesn't rust out, but its just a stock mani. As for difficulty, it took about 30 mins to wrap it. Which isn't bad but it starts to hurt the back after the first 15 min.

My heatshield cracked so I took it off (top and bottom), and the stock exhaust manifold was rusted already, and it isn't exactly a show header if it was clean either so cover it up looks best (wrap it).

Sounds to me SnoopySLR like you wrapped it with it still on the head?

What dimensions header wrap do you recommend I get Snoopy for the stock header 2"x50"?

I bought my wrap at JC Whitney. www.jcwhitney.com , its in the regular exhaust section, not the sport compact section. I don't know how bad shipping is, i have the warehouse and outlet store 5 min from my house. Its $25, i don't know how cheap that is. They sell clamps too. They also have it as www.pegasusautoracing.com

I got mine from summit. I got 1" 50' roll for $25 and I only used like 15' of it. And yes, I didn't take the stupid thing off. If you want to save some back pains, take the fricken thing off!

It could be 20' but no more. I went just below the radiator. I didn't see the point of going any furthur. I did it to keep my underhood temps down.

I wrapped my Down pipe for the fact of keeping the heat off of the oil pan and filter. Never gauged the oil temp though. Plus it helps deaded the sound under the floor.

Any one use it and does it help on under hood Temp. I'm thinking of wraping the manifold and down pipe with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back