1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

head torquing question

Posted by Cdc1221, Oct 13, 2012

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Cdc1221

Cdc1221 Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2012
    Jackson, Georgia
    So my question is this. Can i torque my head without a torque wrench and if so, how? Just wondering if i can torque it by degrees rather than the torque to yield method described in the book

611  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    · 1G DSM
  2. herms99gst

herms99gst Proven Member

Joined Sep 5, 2009
    stanley, Virginia
    Get a torque wrench are don't do it....

597  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  3. RadDsm

RadDsm Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    Tigard, Oregon
    You can get a cheap torque wrench for about $10-$20 from harbor freight or a parts store that'll be just find for head studs.

4. crazyquik22023

crazyquik22023 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    Ya one can be had for very cheap.. If not I'm sure you can find a buddy or somebody who has one that would be willing to loan you for a minute. There is no other way to install head bolts/studs the correct way.

874  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.900 @ 115.000 · 2G DSM
  5. grothe3297venge

grothe3297venge Proven Member

Joined Jan 18, 2011
    Iowa City, Iowa
    You can always rent one from a parts store I'm sure?!

6. My1GLaser

My1GLaser Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2006
    Bartow, Florida
    Yes you can angle torque a head...if you know how and don't have a torque wrench. I bet Bogus can do it with his eyes closed...however I also bet he has a torque wrench and uses it instead.

FWIW, I bought a cheap $20 HF torque wrench and calibrated it at work and it was +/- 3 ft/lbs at 80 ft/lbs torque.

2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.420 @ 121.980 · 1G DSM
  7. BogusSVO

BogusSVO Proven Member

Joined Jul 1, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
    Get a torque wrench... Perferbly a decent one if you intend to do this kind of work a bit.

I use a BrownLine metal works one at this time, and have for about a year, They are a supporting vendor here and have a great deal on on thier torque wrench.... Around $100 for a digi

For ARP Head studs, there is not a torque angle, just a torque spec.

Now it you are using a TTY ( Torque To Yeild) Bolt, they start with a low torque spec then have an degree or angle they need to go ( Brown Line has me testing a new digi gauge-- very sweet tool)

So long story longer..... Get a torque wrench a 1/2 drive will cover heads and mains.