The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Has anyone ever cut off their exhaust system under the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightspeed87

15+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Because i have no money yet to fninsh getting 3in pipeng ran and get the 3 in inlet exhaust system , and since im converting over from a n/t ( motor swap ) i was wondering doen the n/t have smaller pipeing. But wherether it does or doesnt, or is so the case i was thnking is it a bad idea to just cut off the exahust pipeing like at the distance of where the first resonators were at, and will it be too loud. Ive seen some guys at the track do this but their motives im sure are greater than mines, I know you dont want any backpressure with a turbo so i figured this shouldnt hurt much.

( Oh and by the way its only going to be temperary, and they dont emissions here in fl where i stay, and id just be dropping my exhaust pipeing where the cat bolts up and only having the manifold and down pipe..... Is that ok/ safe/ and will it give or take hp from backpressure and what not. )

It wont hurt you, but it will be extremely loud...I did this on my 1g due to a clogged cat and lack of funds. You will notice a power difference over the stock exhaust but it is crazy loud. Bust out a recip saw and go to town...good luck

damn i was hopeing it wouldnt be too loud... What if I cut it after the resonator?
And arent turbo cars suppose to be generally quieter ( exhaust wise ) Or is it still
loud, loud. Because i also dont want tickets from noise decibles because the cops they will try me where i live.

somdturbo said:
It wont hurt you, but it will be extremely loud...I did this on my 1g due to a clogged cat and lack of funds. You will notice a power difference over the stock exhaust but it is crazy loud. Bust out a recip saw and go to town...good luck

and couldnt you have just dropped the 4 bolts holding the cat and gut out the cat and slap it back up there and bolt it back on. Thats what i did on mines a while back, and it worked just fine and was even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back