The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Guys what do you think about this sheetmetal intake manifold is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You get what you pay for. It looks poorly desighned and the welds look like some kid did them in shop class. :thumbdown

The plenum doesn't even taper down. It doesn't have velocity stacks. I say no go. If you're looking for a pretty good sheet metal intake manifold though you should check out jmfabrications.com.

Attachments

• smintake1.jpg
    smintake1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,169
i saw that, its about the same quality as a dejon tools manifold. :rolleyes:

Except that 1 def seems to have been mig welded. Its a large POS.

how is the dejon mani. i thought it was a little cheap when i saw it.

coltboostin said:
Yes, and possible much more depending on settup.

Ok......And I have majic dust that you can sprinkle on your motor to give it special powers that lets you dream up what HP you want and BAM!!! its there.

That intake is a poor design and would hurt performance rather than help it. Read the intake manifold comparision on this site and then come back to me when you out flow your stock manifold.

gixrman said:
Ok......And I have majic dust that you can sprinkle on your motor to give it special powers that lets you dream up what HP you want and BAM!!! its there.

That intake is a poor design and would hurt performance rather than help it. Read the intake manifold comparision on this site and then come back to me when you out flow your stock manifold.

Don't be a smartass, you don't know everything. I think he was referring to the overall gains that one would see from any similar type SMIM over stock. And there IS a huge thread about SMIM for those who are interested.

"for strip and street use.. on a basicly stock motor you could expect around a 20whp gain, on a big-turbo'd motor expect 50-80whp gain."

quoted directly from his ad....these are some serious bench dyno gains. I see I might have to find some this Magic Fairy dust too. ;)

illegal talon...what r u talking about the smim looks like crap....then u say go to jmfab for a smim...when the manifold he posted the pic of is the one from jmfabs website....hmm most of u guys don't know what ur talking prob because of the fact u don't own one.. :laugh: but i do....the welds are greattttt...my friends are licensed mig and tig welders and can do w/e they want with metal...they actually sell welded aluminum dildos...besides the point...they said the welds are awesome....and for the question bout does it clear the firewall....hahahaha....the grand canyon can fit between the manifold and the firewall...and if u check his website u can 2 get velocity stacks for a lil extra....so before u start downing peoples work....own one first... :dsm:

dsmrunaway1 said:
illegal talon...what r u talking about the smim looks like crap....then u say go to jmfab for a smim...when the manifold he posted the pic of is the one from jmfabs website....hmm most of u guys don't know what ur talking prob because of the fact u don't own one.. :laugh: but i do....the welds are greattttt...my friends are licensed mig and tig welders and can do w/e they want with metal...they actually sell welded aluminum dildos...besides the point...they said the welds are awesome....and for the question bout does it clear the firewall....hahahaha....the grand canyon can fit between the manifold and the firewall...and if u check his website u can 2 get velocity stacks for a lil extra....so before u start downing peoples work....own one first... :dsm:

We're not blind we can see the welds, your welding friends are a different story...

Hal said:
I assume you have the test results to back up this claim?

No?

I didn't think so.
well my friens did his own sheetmetal intake, and had DYNO proven 25 HP more, sheetmetal intake with stock runners, and since these are all aluminum they will cool down alot better, + maybe a hondata intake manifold gasket, and he has 25+ hp on at least a build engine, without changing boost :shhh:

here something from Magnusmotorsports.com
Proven to make over 40 hp at the wheels on Mitsubishi applications
that is with their sheetmetal intake manifold, and i think that they would not sell it if it wasn't proven by them.

gixrman said:

I was not speaking of this manifold in particular. You dont think an IM will yeild and large gains? Ask DSMJim about his rediculous gains with JUST the addition of a manifold. Ask anyone making any decent power, unlike doubters like you and Hal who are obviously rookies that dont know a damn thing.

Why would ALL of the top self DSM's be running them? For shits and giggles?

This is why I hate DSMtuners sometimes. This is not even a point worth discusing.

No, you hate this forum because you make stupid claims based on no real information.

Who do you think RAN the intake manifold test that was previously done? yea... that was Hal.

And do you think any pos manifold will yield gains? well they wont. Yea ask dsm jim about his manifold, the magnus mani, the one that was researched, developed, and yields a great increase in performance.

Do you think a sheetmetal intake manifold is a good idea for any setup? Because its not. The stock intake manifold outpowers the aftermarket manifolds in low to mid range power.

Just because everyone else has something, doesnt mean its a good idea for everyone.

If I bought everything that someone claimed made serious HP gains I would be the proud owner of a lot of crap like the Tornado, Z max fuel treatment and great whistle tip for my exhaust. Show me that THIS intake has been dyno proven to make these gains on stock and modified DSM's then I will be a believer ....till then she is nothing but snake oil to me.

You guys crack me up! With that being said you get what you pay for..
But dsmers are some of the cheapest people around, and I don't mean to point any fingers cause I do the same.

But seriously that has to be the worst designed manifold I've seen in some time. Stuff like that on ebay makes me pity the poor bastards who will beleive any of that crap people post about there "Products".

Some of you guys need to realize we are advising you against these products for a reason, cause we know you will be dissapointed with it. Just stick with whats tried and true, spend a little more $$! You will thank us in the long run. ;)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, i'm just sick of people saying "wow, its welded up box stock aluminum tubing so it must make more HP."

Show me before and after dyno's and flow maps that prove it does this and i'll say your right. And every sheet metal manifold is geared towards topend, so while your sitting there waiting for your over-rated manifold to rev up to 5k to start making power i'll be long gone. But hey if want to waste your money go ahead.

People often equate the quality of fit & finish with how well something will perform.

In reality, the two are not always linked.

On the other hand, something that performs well but is unappealing to the eye will not sell very well.

Making performance claims for any given manifold is ludicrous unless you can demonstrate actual gains and document the testing.

A 20whp h/p gain means nothing if you can't say WHERE in the rpm curve the gain was made. More importantly what were the LOSSES in torque and where did they occur?

I have seen intake manifolds that offer great gains in one area and huge loses in others.

I have seen intake manifolds that flow WORSE than stock at ALL points.

Manifolds are "purpose built", in that they are designed to improve performance in a specific area.

You need to match you manifold to your needs. A manifold that doesn't make power until 7000 rpms does you no good unless you spend a great deal of your "racing" at rpm levels above that.

A mismatched manifold will hurt your overall performance, just like choosing the wrong cams or the wrong turbocharger.

Hal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back