The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G GST Idling Low & Smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funds

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2021
Tucson, Arizona
Hey guys!

I just bought my first DSM about 2 months ago, and it’s been a nightmare LOL. It’s a 1998 GST, and when I go to start it, it’ll idle fine for the first few minutes. It’ll idle around 1,000-1,200RPM at startup. After it warms up, the idle drops to ~500RPM, and it throws like a greyish smoke. On top of this, I’m constantly throwing in coolant (last owner put new 14G, I don’t think he put enough coolant but not 100%. Pretty sure I just need to bleed the system) It’s a completely stock car besides an HKS Sequential BOV.
So far I’ve put in a new fuel pump w/ tank, spark plugs, PCV, and a TB. It’s probably good to note that the car was parked for a few years, and the fuel rotted the old pump. The car runs fine, it’s just the low idle and the coolant. I’m thinking its either IAC, BISS, or the fuel filter’s clogged up. This is my first DSM, does anyone have any suggestions?

DO aBoost leak test, ditch the HKS and find a resurculating air set up thats close stock. Our DSMs aren't meant to run that way without proper supporting mods to vent to atmosphere... thats probably why your smoking...also those breather filter on the valve cover...all that air needs to be accounted for by the MAF/ECU

It does sound like a hg. Remove the plugs and look down the cylinders. If a cylinder of two looks shinny and clean, coolant is getting into that cylinder. Then you’ll want to do a leak down test with the radiator cap off.

Hey guys!

I just bought my first DSM about 2 months ago, and it’s been a nightmare LOL. It’s a 1998 GST, and when I go to start it, it’ll idle fine for the first few minutes. It’ll idle around 1,000-1,200RPM at startup. After it warms up, the idle drops to ~500RPM, and it throws like a greyish smoke. On top of this, I’m constantly throwing in coolant (last owner put new 14G, I don’t think he put enough coolant but not 100%. Pretty sure I just need to bleed the system) It’s a completely stock car besides an HKS Sequential BOV.
So far I’ve put in a new fuel pump w/ tank, spark plugs, PCV, and a TB. It’s probably good to note that the car was parked for a few years, and the fuel rotted the old pump. The car runs fine, it’s just the low idle and the coolant. I’m thinking its either IAC, BISS, or the fuel filter’s clogged up. This is my first DSM, does anyone have any suggestions?
Mines head gasket was blown coolant was going exhaust/oil system one or the other I've owned since 97 23 painful years.it had 40000 on it.thats alot of mileage for one year. I didn't know what I was getting into. There is so much shi... I can say on and on

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back