The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G GST and GSX motor swap/trade difficulty

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson159

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2017
Billings, Montana
i currently have a 98 gst with 12k miles on the rebuilt motor it is stock internals except cams, I’ve been looking for a gsx for a while to swap my motor into, I was mainly looking for a gsx with a blown motor so it would be cheaper but I found a gsx for sale about 300 miles from me that runs and that has a stage 2 transmission with 2k miles and a rebuilt drivetrain from transfer case back, Owner says it makes 400hp but it’s a 7bolt and a lot more miles than my motor so I’m mainly looking at if for the Powertrain. The gsx has 156,000 miles and he wants 5k for it. I’ve never pulled a motor before so I was wondering if I was in over my head on this big plan, I would also swap my ecu over to the gsx cuz I would want to keep dsmlink.
Anyone have any advice for me? Both cars have good traits and I want to combine them together to make an awesome weekend warrior gsx.

i currently have a 98 gst with 12k miles on the rebuilt motor it is stock internals except cams, I’ve been looking for a gsx for a while to swap my motor into, I was mainly looking for a gsx with a blown motor so it would be cheaper but I found a gsx for sale about 300 miles from me that runs and that has a stage 2 transmission with 2k miles and a rebuilt drivetrain from transfer case back, Owner says it makes 400hp but it’s a 7bolt and a lot more miles than my motor so I’m mainly looking at if for the Powertrain. The gsx has 156,000 miles and he wants 5k for it. I’ve never pulled a motor before so I was wondering if I was in over my head on this big plan, I would also swap my ecu over to the gsx cuz I would want to keep dsmlink.
Anyone have any advice for me? Both cars have good traits and I want to combine them together to make an awesome weekend warrior gsx.
I would also put the gsx motor in my gst and sell it which is why I said swap/trade because I would have to uninstall and reinstall 2 motors

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do some major research before getting too far into it. Engine swaps aren't rocket science, but there are a few factors to consider.

Number one will be using the appropriate brackets for the equal length half shaft.

there's a few other small details, but I can't recall them off the top of my head. Most of it is common sense: get a manual, label things, take pictures etc. You should be able to download the FSM somewhere on the site here, and having a Chilton's / Haynes is not a bad idea either if only for reference.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back