The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

99 gst motor in 96 gsx car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greddylove

Proven Member
Jun 28, 2020
Marysville, Washington
Going to start off by saying I’m not new to engine swap and or built cars but brand new to dsms. I have a beautiful 96 gsx roller I picked up to build, that being said I sourced a low mileage running motor out of a 99 gst. I have a few ecu to choose from(if needed) and my question is what do I need to do in order for everything to work correctly? Is the CAS the only different thing in those year changes? Read something about firing order? I didn’t keep 99 ecu but do have older ones since i researched they are better for tuning. My running gear is also 97 gsx trans and t-case so that should be ok too.

Going to start off by saying I’m not new to engine swap and or built cars but brand new to dsms. I have a beautiful 96 gsx roller I picked up to build, that being said I sourced a low mileage running motor out of a 99 gst. I have a few ecu to choose from(if needed) and my question is what do I need to do in order for everything to work correctly? Is the CAS the only different thing in those year changes? Read something about firing order? I didn’t keep 99 ecu but do have older ones since i researched they are better for tuning. My running gear is also 97 gsx trans and t-case so that should be ok too.

Engine should work just fine as far as I know. I'm assuming you have the ecu and wiring harness for the gsx so it should just be a plug and play kind of thing. I may be wrong as I am new, but I think you should be good.

Entire wiring harness is there including the engine one but I do know that the earlier 9596 have a different CAS and read something about firing order?

firing order is different depending on which ecu you use. It will boil down to what do you want to use in the car as to how it needs to be setup. The basic longblock doesn't matter much. It's what you bolt to it in terms of electrical parts. CAS specifically is the big issue. The 2gb head may not have the provision for a 2ga cas.

firing order is different depending on which ecu you use. It will boil down to what do you want to use in the car as to how it needs to be setup. The basic longblock doesn't matter much. It's what you bolt to it in terms of electrical parts. CAS specifically is the big issue. The 2gb head may not have the provision for a 2ga cas.
I have a 2gb motor 99 now wanting to use

The CAS I have looks like a triangle where on the 95 motor I sold it was round. Unless I’m looking at something wrong. I also haven’t chosen an ecu yet but if I run an older one (for tunibiluty) can i still use the 99 2gb one. I read somewhere it’s possible but have to rewrite it because of some way it reads the sensor?

Please fill out a profile and let us know what's on the car currently. If it were me I would run a 1g cas. I do not know if the 2gb cam will allow you to run a 1g cas. You will have to search if anybody has run a 2gb cas with a 2ga harness and ecu. For sure a 2gb cas works with a 2ga ecu because it gets done frequently for users with ECMlink.
There are many FAQs out there and good tutorials on this site. Please take a look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back