The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 96 gst engine swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydsm098

Probationary Member
Mar 28, 2020
Waterbury, Connecticut
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Hello , I’m looking to buy my first dsm a 96 gst. The owner jumped timing an started to take the motor apart to see if any damage had been done but never got around to putting it back together after days of thinking I’ve came to the conclusion that instead of me buying and putting it back together I would just buy another motor and swap it in there. I have a buddy that’s selling a built 96 gst 7 bolt block with 2 7 bolt heads for-sale, I’ve had a few 420a but this would be my first 4g63 an not too familiar with them any information would be appreciated

So I’m here looking for a little insight on how and what I need to do the motor swap. Any information would be greatly appreciated .

Also added pictures of the car below

Attachments

• CE5BB691-D070-49B9-9DCC-DDD5251EB819.png
    CE5BB691-D070-49B9-9DCC-DDD5251EB819.png
    258.7 KB · Views: 97
Tough to say what you'd need, but as many of the parts as possible to completely replace things is one way.
I'd say the entire long block, any sensors and possibly accessories. What all do you have with the car, and what does your buddy have?
I'd start with a Chilton manual for basic engine removal methods. Alot of people like to pull them out the top, I prefer dropping the subframe out the bottom onto a dolly cart and wheeling it out.
An engine lift is a big help, Jack's and stands, basic hand tools, electric impacts etc. The more you have, the easier it is generally.

The car looks like it’s in good shape, especially the shock towers. There isn’t much left to pull the head off either. If the top of the pistons look good, you can get a head for cheap, a few hundred. How much does he want for the car?

The car looks like it’s in good shape, especially the shock towers. There isn’t much left to pull the head off either. If the top of the pistons look good, you can get a head for cheap, a few hundred. How much does he want for the car?
He’s only asking 1000 for the car literally rust free and has 82k on the dash really don’t wanna pass up on this car

Attachments

• FC122F19-14FC-48E0-A1D5-6625595ACCAF.jpeg
    FC122F19-14FC-48E0-A1D5-6625595ACCAF.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 5836B9AF-5185-4F96-8DB4-295B75B42289.jpeg
    5836B9AF-5185-4F96-8DB4-295B75B42289.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 93
I wouldn't pass it up..don't be intimidated by the swap it's not all that bad but do plan on spending the weekend taking your time. Jack, jack stand, block of wood, 1 1/4" socket for axle nuts I believe. Is this the original 7 bolt in the car because that will make a big difference in what all you will need. I suggest! New timing/ water pump components either way. Depending on cam and crank sensors between the two motors but thats just wiring. It's hard to say exactly what all you will need without knowing exactly what all you have/ will be getting in the package. I've done 4 motor swaps and 3 transmissions on 2g and it's not that hard just patience and bag n tag everything cheap ziplocs are like 1.50 LOL if you were in texas I would gladly give you a hand. Sorry for long msg just really look over that whole car if its solid like you say DONT pass it up
Thank you for your time, Jason Penny

I’d pick that up in a heart beat if it was close to me. As Jason mentioned, it’s not that hard. Al the information is here and you’d get help also. Idk about using that head though. Saw some light rust on the cams. If the rest of the parts are all there, you’d prob spend about $1500 to get that running, if you can do the work yourself and have the tools. $600 for Tbelt & water pump, $2-300 for a head, $100 head decked and cleaned, ~$500 for gaskets, fluids and misc.

Get it, and just get a new head, if he still have the head and the casting is intact, it could be just replacing the. Alces and a resurface while the head is desasemble and you are good to go, obviously check the top surface of the pistons, if it has only marks, it should be good.

I opt more on using the same block which you know it was running instead buying another one that you don’t know if it has some oiling (restrictions) problems and it will not last long to break.
However you need to change the timing belt on the other engine which you don’t now how it is, or otherwise you will end up with the same problem really soon.

Get the head fix and put some pics so we can guide you on what to do or help on any question you have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back