The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

GM mass air / remove screen???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my98gsx

Supporting VIP
Aug 14, 2005
Wappingers, New_York
Im installing a GM mass air into my 98 GSX. Some people say to take out the screen thats infront of the sensor, others say its there to ensure that it proporly works by dispencing the air through the unit... anyone have any answers? - more air flow without the screen? but will it work w/o it?

are you talking about the thin wires that run through the gm mas? correct me if im wrong but dont those wires detect the temp and amount of airflow that passes through?

He's talking about the honeycombs. I've seen people run them either way, so I guess if you're really big on restriction [although I don't think it'll make a big difference on street hp levels], then go ahead and take them out.

you cant remove those honeycombs in a gm mas while on a stock ecu. the air metered is translated from gm maft to the ecu. on an aem standalone you wouldnt need those wires right...?

A gm maf isn't a mitsubishi part. It'll read the air no matter what, and the translator will do its job regardless of the honey combs. Keep them in there if it makes you feel better about it, but all Im saying is that I remove them without any problems whatsoever. Even when I didn't have dsm link, I removed them. Trust me, it wont hurt anything.

I doubt this has ever happened, but I dont want the honey comb to fall out or come loose and go thru my engine. I run 30+psi thru my intercooler pipes, and the last thing I want to happen is for honey combs, that are more or less glued in, to come flying apart into my engine. Now that I removed them with a SLIGHT push of my thumb, I wont have to worry about it.

you cant remove those honeycombs in a gm mas while on a stock ecu. the air metered is translated from gm maft to the ecu. on an aem standalone you wouldnt need those wires right...?

if by wires, you mean the almost invisible wires that are inside the GM maf, then yeah, you wouldn't need them. Actually, you would just take out the gm maf altogether because you wouldn't need it period.

the wires in the gm mas detect airflow which then sent to>translator > wiring harness > then ecu. a STOCK ecu needs to have some time of mas air sensor readings even though its being tricked via maft. if you dont believe me unplug your mass and try to drive your car on stock ecu. BROKENTSi, your on aem standalone right? so you wouldnt need those wires or honeycombs whatever you want to call them because your on standalone mangement. please correct me if im wrong......

the wires in the gm mas detect airflow which then sent to>translator > wiring harness > then ecu. a STOCK ecu needs to have some time of mas air sensor readings even though its being tricked via maft. if you dont believe me unplug your mass and try to drive your car on stock ecu. BROKENTSi, your on aem standalone right? so you wouldnt need those wires or honeycombs whatever you want to call them because your on standalone mangement. please correct me if im wrong......

Last year, i was on just a keydiver chip. This year, I'm on dsm link. And I never run the honey combs. Of course, the little wires are in the maf obviously, but without honeycombs, ### I think they're dumb. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back