The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gear Problems: 3rd, 4th & Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipin

Probationary Member
Dec 25, 2002
Dallas, Europe
On my 99 GSX, I lost 3rd, and 4th gear, and it seems like a clinking sound at the rear of the car when I place it in reverse, and back up. I was driving about 80mph, just cruisisng. It sounded like I hit the rev limiter, because the car came out of gear, and since my foot was on the accelerator the revs went up. I shifted to neutral, slowed down, and noticed from that point the car would only shift to 1st, 2nd, and 5th gear. The car starts normal, and I can drive it, but of course jumping from 2nd gear to 5th gear makes in town driving difficult. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. I checked the shift linkage cables at the shifter, and at the transmission. They are connected, and they seem to be okay. Of course, I can not see inside the length of the cables to tell if there is a break or other problem. There are no other visible problems, oil leak, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.....Eclipin.

If the cables are fine, then you probably broke something like the 3-4 shift fork, or the slider.

Time for a rebuild.

kpt4321 said:
If the cables are fine, then you probably broke something like the 3-4 shift fork, or the slider.

Time for a rebuild.

Thanks for the quick response Kyle. Is there a definite way to tell if the shift linkage cables are bad, before giving in to the idea of rebuilding, or buying a new tranny? :cry:

When 3/4 went out, did it affect the shifting to 1/2/5?
If the shifting into the other gears is OK, then it's not the cables.

pneumo said:
When 3/4 went out, did it affect the shifting to 1/2/5?
If the shifting into the other gears is OK, then it's not the cables.
Thanks Pneumo. I can shift into 1st, 2nd, and 5th with no problem. The reverse also works well, but I stick I hear a slight sound from the rear. I agree, I think my cables are okay. I intend to take the car to the dealer for a diagnosis only. Does anyone have a recommendation as to rebuild, buy old tranny, or buy a new OEM tranny. Also, could the transfer case have any effect on my gear problems??????Thanks, Eclipin :dsm:

eclipin said:
Thanks Pneumo. I can shift into 1st, 2nd, and 5th with no problem. The reverse also works well, but I stick I hear a slight sound from the rear. I agree, I think my cables are okay. I intend to take the car to the dealer for a diagnosis only. Does anyone have a recommendation as to rebuild, buy old tranny, or buy a new OEM tranny. Also, could the transfer case have any effect on my gear problems??????Thanks, Eclipin :dsm:

What are your plans for the car? If you have plans to build up the hp, then why build the trans up now, because you have to do it now anyway (this also depends on the cash available). I didn't see anything but project gsx and a wishlist in your profile, so I assume you don't plan on staying stock.

TheDeer said:
What are your plans for the car? If you have plans to build up the hp, then why build the trans up now, because you have to do it now anyway (this also depends on the cash available). I didn't see anything but project gsx and a wishlist in your profile, so I assume you don't plan on staying stock.
Thanks Deer, sounds like a good idea to have an upgraded tranny for more strength and durability. My funds are not a problem. I have been checking out TRE and Shepherd Racing website to get info. Not sure if I will buy the tranny out right from one of these guys, or send my tranny in for the rebuild. I have read some of the forums and it seems people are indicating TRE is good, but may have bad customer service. Others, say Shepherd is good, and have good customer service. Anyone, please give advice, or any other place thats good for rebuilds, or purchases. Also, I updated my profile info for project gsx. Thanks, Eclipin.. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back