The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

G4CS 6 bolt 2.4 Build, Cam Gear Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChessmoDSM

Proven Member
Apr 22, 2017
Burlington, Vermont
Does anybody have some real-world information on what Cam gears can be used used for this build, the block/crank is out of a 91 Hyundai Sonata I did find this blurb from the long thread about 4G64/G4CS builds but was wondering if anybody had experience with something else that worked?

Thread:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/looking-for-4g64-g4cs-answers-look-here.100677/

Blurb:
I could be wrong but I believe there is no such thing as a dohc 95-99 galant that the cam gears will work on on this setup. The cam gears you will need are off of the 94 gs dohc galant. They only made it for 1 year. The head bolts directly on. The cam gears from a 4g63 will work but you have to make marks on both of them 1/2 tooth advanced. Use the new marks to set the engine at tdc..

I also found this on RTM Racing but it says its specially designed for a 95-96 CAS setup and I think it's moe for the 4G64 unless I am mistaken:

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20767

This is the intake cam gear required when mating a 4G64 2.4L bottom end with a 4G63 head. The gear is of special design for use with the 1995-96 CAS (MD300102).

NOTE: When running this cam gear on a 4G64 block and 4G63 head, you should also use a timing belt designed for this application (MD331076). For details, please refer to the "Related Products" section near the bottom of the page(I do believe this is the right timing belt though)..

Thanks for any and all advice!!

I’ve ran the 2.4 cam gears on a old 2.4 build and I currently have aem 4g63 cams gears on my 2.4 that have been degreed in. I have never remarked stock gears and ran that way though. You can run the 95-96 cam gear with any style cam sensor you choose but you can only use the 95-96 cam sensor with the 95-96 cam gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back