The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

fwd tranny in awd car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast97gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
I know it sounds VERY dumb but I jsut blew up my gsx tranny again and I want to send it to shep for a rebuild. In the meantime I can get my hands on a 2g fwd tranny for very cheap. If I were to just bolt it on I'm sure the axles would be fine and the tranny would bolt to the block .. but what about the rear end? I can't just take off the driveshaft so I'm wondering what I need to do to make the trans work? I only wanna drive fwd for a while .. just to get it dynod and during the downtime on the awd tranny since right now I can't afford to rebuild it with all the parts I want yet.

You can leave out the drive shaft, because the T-case will not bolt up to anything. But I really dont know if you will need a welded viscous coupler like when converting an AWD to a fwd. Thats how I dyno'd my car, and thats how I will be doing it again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back