The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD Tranny in AWD car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMKevan

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2004
Clarkston, Michigan
I just got a 1990 turbo fwd transmission for free, and my car is a 1990 turbo awd manual. The transmission in the car right now needs work, so I picked up the fwd tranny for kicks. The person who owned it before said it was possible to install it in a 1990 awd, you would just have to remove the rear driveshaft and everything.

1. Is this true?

2. And, are the internals the same in each tranny? I was thinking of using some parts from the fwd tranny to rebuild the awd one.

3. Or is it possible to convert the fwd tranny to AWD by simply bolting on a transfer case?

I read it before I posted, it didnt answer all my questions.

By question #3 I mean:

Can I take an AWD transfer case from my AWD tranny and bolt the AWD transfer case onto the FWD transmission? (in a sense, converting the FWD to AWD)

And I still dont know if the internals are the same. I have heard the gear ratios are different, but are they interchangable?

DSMKevan said:
I just got a 1990 turbo fwd transmission for free, and my car is a 1990 turbo awd manual. The transmission in the car right now needs work, so I picked up the fwd tranny for kicks. The person who owned it before said it was possible to install it in a 1990 awd, you would just have to remove the rear driveshaft and everything.

1. Is this true?

2. And, are the internals the same in each tranny? I was thinking of using some parts from the fwd tranny to rebuild the awd one.

3. Or is it possible to convert the fwd tranny to AWD by simply bolting on a transfer case?

1.You can stick the FWD tranny in there. Obviously, you gotta remove the transfer case to get the AWD tranny out. Just unbolt the 2 carrier bearings that hold the driveshaft up to the bottom of the car, and undo the 4 bolts connecting th driveshaft to the rear diff. and that's it.

2. The internals are VERY different. I highly doubt any of the major parts are interchangeable. The gear ratios of the gears are different. The input and intermediate gears are diff. You honestly need to know which 10 day period of what month (1 = 1-10, 2 = 11-20, 3 = 21-30), when you are rebuilding a tranny. They literally changed the parts THAT often.

3. No you can't. FWD tranny doesn't have an output shaft for a transfer case. Totally different trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back