The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

awd tranny in fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm2Nv

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2007
toronto, ON_Canada
I have a 1997 eclipse gst and first gear doesn't go in. where I'm from its almost impossible to find a fwd transmission so i was wondering what do i need to do to fit a awd tranny in a fwd.

From what I read its a pain to go to awd conversion.

Ruben,

Rebuild the unit you have now. It's by far cheaper and easier to do.

Or you could just weld the center diff in the AWD trans and slap er in. A short ratio FWD car would be pretty sweet.

im not up to speed with transmission terms but i thought the center diff was in the back of the car that transfered the power from the driveshaft to the rear wheels. im not sure what its called but theres something that comes out of the AWD tranny that the transfer case slides on that the fwd tranny doesn't have... heres the pictures from my fwd/awd swap. granted the fwd is an auto but still it doesn't have a t-case so its missing that spline.

AWD M/T
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i think thats why youd need the VCE, welding the center diff is for AWD to launch like a badass.

:dsm:

Since Ruben is from Toronto Canada, FWD tranny's are impossible to find!! In Canada 2g Turbo DSM's were only offered in AWD.

Good example, a working AWD tranny in Toronto will sell for $200 while a FWD will get close $800! if you can find one.

im not up to speed with transmission terms but i thought the center diff was in the back of the car that transfered the power from the driveshaft to the rear wheels.

Nope. The center diff is in the transmission. If you want to run an AWD tranny, you just have to make sure the center diff is welded together or a VCE is installed. Add that with two AWD axles and you're golden. I even think the axle on the driver side will help combat torque steer.

I had John Shepherd modify a AWD tranny to FWD for me a while back. It works great. I also had a KAZZ lsd installed and the traction is awesome. With slicks the car pulls 1.7's and sometimes 1.6 60' times. I like the AWD gearing better than the FWD's.

^^^ What tim said. Heres the pic you posted with the area that houses the center diff circled.

Thats the front diff that you have circled, the center diff is in the center of the trans on the other end of the output shaft, that goes to the transfer case..that output shaft slides through the center diff..

Thats the front diff that you have circled, the center diff is in the center of the trans on the other end of the output shaft, that goes to the transfer case..that output shaft slides through the center diff..

I meant to circle the whole part with the t case output shaft but my mouse sucks and i deleted the pic haha.

Sorry for the confusion.

This is a little better...green circle...mouse sucks still but you can see more where that first circle should have gone too.

Ill also post a pic of the welded diff out of the trans. i have one from my 90 car up at my garage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back