The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G FWD to AWD swap thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canefan75

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2011
Redington Shores, Florida
Im interested to hear from those who have done this swap or know someone who has, and what issues they may have encountered 6 months or a year later, or longer.

Did the car run like it should?
Would your average person think it was a factory AWD car?
Would you do it again?

Basically your thoughts on the swap and if they are something that will hold up long term.

Thanks!

Nothing out of the ordinary. The only major difference is its now AWD instead of FWD :)

Im interested to hear from those who have done this swap or know someone who has, and what issues they may have encountered 6 months or a year later, or longer.

Did the car run like it should?
Would your average person think it was a factory AWD car?
Would you do it again?

Basically your thoughts on the swap and if they are something that will hold up long term.

Thanks!
I don't think there will EVERY be any draw backs. Youre not taking a whole differently platform and changing it. Youre just adding options that weren't given to an existing body that was setup for it but not made as an AWD

I think if it were a situation like MiguelDSM, taking a non turbo 2g platform, converting it to an Evo8-9 4g63t setup...along with AWD conversion and all the issues hes having now. That would be a bigger concern and curiousness for me L O L

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that you could use the DSM 4G63 to the N/Ts LOL, it would be far easier for me than seeing in the future to find an Evo 8 4G63 .

I mean, can they be used? I know engine mounts are different than the GS-T/GSXs, however I am wondering if location wise of the mounts are different than the GS-Ts and GSXs. Otherwise, I would buy GSX mounts and drop it in.

Last edited:
Wow. I know it's possible but every time I hear about this it just seems like you might as well swap your FWD for an AWD given how much has to be done and replaced. You have to replace the flywheel and trans, of course, perhaps some mounts, the clutch slave, install propellor shaft mounts and of course an actual prop shaft, swap most of the rear suspension, install a rear diff carrier and rear diff, 2 half shafts, new trailing arm, perhaps a new or rerouted exhaust pipe and maybe heat shields. What am I missing? Isn't the trunk a lot smaller on AWDs and if so would you need to replace the trunk floor pan as well? Is it really worth it over a car swap?

I thought that you could use the DSM 4G63 to the N/Ts LOL, it would be far easier for me than seeing in the future to find an Evo 8 4G63 .

I mean, can they be used? I know engine mounts are different than the GS-T/GSXs, however I am wondering if location wise of the mounts are different than the GS-Ts and GSXs. Otherwise, I would buy GSX mounts and drop it in.
Everything is completely, completely different.

Wow. I know it's possible but every time I hear about this it just seems like you might as well swap your FWD for an AWD given how much has to be done and replaced. You have to replace the flywheel and trans, of course, perhaps some mounts, the clutch slave, install propellor shaft mounts and of course an actual prop shaft, swap most of the rear suspension, install a rear diff carrier and rear diff, 2 half shafts, new trailing arm, perhaps a new or rerouted exhaust pipe and maybe heat shields. What am I missing? Isn't the trunk a lot smaller on AWDs and if so would you need to replace the trunk floor pan as well? Is it really worth it over a car swap?
Trunks are different on the 1g awd vs fwd, not so on the 2g.

Its not that hard if youre mechanically inclined, and have a good free weekend with all the parts you need. A physical donor car is best.

It depends on what you want. If you want the collectability and value of a GSX, then you better just get a GSX. An AWD swapped GST will never carry the same collector value as a true GSX. However, you can't really just go out and buy an AWD convertible since they didn't make them from the factory. If you want one, then a swap is the most likely way to get there unless you get lucky and find one already done for sale. My daughter has been using hers as her daily driver for over 3 years now without any major problems, just regular maintenance. Runs and drives like a factory car and most people would have no clue it wasn't original. A true Eclipse enthusiast that knows what to look for would certainly know it is a swap. It's worthwhile if it's what you want.

It depends on what you want. If you want the collectability and value of a GSX, then you better just get a GSX. An AWD swapped GST will never carry the same collector value as a true GSX. However, you can't really just go out and buy an AWD convertible since they didn't make them from the factory. If you want one, then a swap is the most likely way to get there unless you get lucky and find one already done for sale. My daughter has been using hers as her daily driver for over 3 years now without any major problems, just regular maintenance. Runs and drives like a factory car and most people would have no clue it wasn't original. A true Eclipse enthusiast that knows what to look for would certainly know it is a swap. It's worthwhile if it's what you want.

The problem is finding a clean GSX. But i guess at the end of the day, these are still 20+ year old cars so value and collectability is going to be relative to the condition of the car. And as i have ben looking for several months, finding a nice GSX has been a challenge.

Its nice to hear that your daughters conversion has been going strong for over 3 years. This was the kind of feedback i was looking to hear, thank you!

Trunks are different on the 1g awd vs fwd, not so on the 2g.

The OP didn't indicate what generation they were thinking of converting. But, short of converting a hardtop to a softtop, this seems like about as difficult a conversion as it gets with DSMs.

I'm just glad that I went whole hog with my 1G when I bought it. I got the works, other than leather and CD player, and am glad I didn't get either. Manual shift, of course.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back