The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FWD Auto (F4A33) Transmission Gears Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudie1

Probationary Member
Nov 11, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Here goes:

I am rebuilding an F4A33 transmission and exploring gear options.

In specific, I know that Liberty Gears makes straight cut gears from billet for the autos. From what I can tell though they are for the W/awd autos of course.

Diagram with highlighted parts I THINK are the gears in question: https://ibb.co/BjzQdvK

Dilemma, I feel like I’m losing my mind after staring at the transmission on the floor AND at explosion diagrams all of which seem to show me the idler gear (#714 in the attached picture with highlights), the driven gear (#710 in the picture), and lastly………the elusive driven transfer gear: I THINK this is part of the pinion (#730).

So…did I get the three gears identified correctly?

Second, is #730 why no one has had billet straight cut gears made for the F4A33?

Liberty wants me to send them all 3 gears for inspection/measurement to make a set BUT I don’t think they realize its part of the pinion (IF I am correct about all this).

Appreciate your help! This is driving me nuts.

I'm certainly no expert, but it does appear to me that you've identified the gears correctly. I would also agree that the driven transfer gear being a part of the pinion at least plays a part as to why there are no straight cut gears for the F4A33.

Thanks. I have confirmation from others as well that I am looking at the right areas. Working on rectifying this dilemma, have a care package being sent to a machine shop for ideas/possible new product.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back