The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel system problem. HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh38127

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2009
Memphis, Tennessee
While driving my gst today and It runs a drives ok. When I nail the gas it It stumbles then it begins to pull.I went home to check the plugs and they were black. Could that be my troubles?I also has a funky idle and black smoke I was told it could be the fuel regalater. I have a AFPR however it does not have a nipple for the intake vacum line. Can I use it by just setting it to base pressure?

...I have a AFPR however it does not have a nipple for the intake vacum line...

Theres your problem dude. Get a nipple for that thing. Its not running right because the fuel pressure needs to rise on a 1:1 ratio and go up one pound of pressure per one pound of boost. Stock base fuel pressure with the vacuum line off and engine running is 38.5 lbs.

Someone else please chime in if I have forgotten anything or have made a mistake.

Theres your problem dude. Get a nipple for that thing. Its not running right because the fuel pressure needs to rise on a 1:1 ratio and go up one pound of pressure per one pound of boost. Stock base fuel pressure with the vacuum line off and engine running is 38.5 lbs.

Someone else please chime in if I have forgotten anything or have made a mistake.

I failed to say that the AFPR is not in the car. Thanks for telling me that it wont work for me. I have to get a new one. I drove it today with a boost guage. I noticed its aways pulling vac.It never shows any boost not even in WOT just vac When it begins to boost it starts to stumble or shutter. And the plugs are black with tips are white. If my stock regalater was bad could that be causing my troubles.

Well is this the stock boost gauge? because I don't see what would cause a a turbo to act like that. but definitely get new NGK's, and and there is a chance that your stock fpr is malfunctioning, and allows the fuel pressure to rise. the black smoke tells me you're probably running rich, and that will cause the stutter as well.
Do a vacuum leak test also real quick.

I dont know man Its my first DSM. I think they are stock injectors. I might have a Diffrent fuel pump. I was thinking it might have the wrong fuel reg or maybe it just broken. How can I check it.

Its a autometer boost gauge I have some NGK's I am gonna get a new fuel reg tommarrow

Last edited:
Okay, well if it's a different fuel pump and a working stock FPR then you will likely run rich.
because the stock FPR is only made to put up with a known amount of incoming fuel, but if more fuel is coming than it knows what to do with, it can't let enough by to run spec fuel pressure.
That sounds like the issue.
You need an AFPR, bolt it up, and adjust it to 43psi with vacuum disconnected.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back