The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2G AWD Fuel sending unit to feed line AN fitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_devil

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
A dreaded fuel sending unit fitting question

well I was trying to remove my fuel sending unit hose to install my STM tank to rail kit. And man is this thing tight. Sprayed it for a day with blaster, I used line wrenches and made sure not to bend the line and brake it. Well the damn thing is so tight that the line twisted. I removed the whole thing and thought about drying it off and adding heat but it's so twisted now that it will reduce flow.

I've seen people install a AN fittings inside the unit and was wondering what to use and how?

Or could I cut the line and weld a AN fitting on the pipe?

Attachments

• fuel top.JPG
    fuel top.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 7,109
  • fuel under.JPG
    fuel under.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,808
Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: was on iPhone before and this is much easier to understand now...

Here's exactly what you need;

All from anplumbing.com website...

983306 - 90 degree bulkhead fitting.(You may want to subsitute this with a 45 fitting (983706))
592406 - Bulkhead nut
700167 - -6an to straight barb.
177006 - Aluminum Crush washer

Now what I did was get rid of where the stock fuel line goes to. Drill the hole out JUST large enough for the bulkhead adapter to go through. Place a aluminum crush washer on each side of the bulk head adapter then install it and tighten it up with the bulkhead nut.

Take the -6an to barb fitting and tighten it onto the inside part of the bulkhead adapter. Take fuel line hose and attach to barb and pump.

Install into tank and run STM's fuel to rail kit.

This is exactly what I did, worked perfect, no leaks.

It will end up looking something like this...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm pretty sure his above reply won't work with 2G awd sending units. 1G sending units have a lot more room between the pump and the sending unit whereas the 2G awd sending units have next to nothing. My first thought would be to cut the tubing just before the kink. You can slide on a tube nut and re-flare it, using a tube nut that is -6 AN female. If there is a local speed shop, take it to them with your pump and see what they think. They do custom stuff like that all the time.

If you can get some pictures as you do yours that would be great. It looks like that's what I'll be doing to mine in the near future and a few extra pictures to go by wouldn't hurt.

Well I have already cut the line and I am having a bung welded on thursday, but I will get pics up here when I do, and Ill explain what I did.

Ok the idiot that welded it for me thought he could do it without taking the fuel connector out and now its toastWTF

Anyone know what other cars have the same connector? it has 6 pins

Update

Found another connector and re-tried everything using a better welder;)

What I did was cut the stock line down just before it starts to bend, get a file and smooth the end out a little. Then I then used sandpaper, wire brush, and muriatic acid to get it cleaned up

Then I bought a -6AN male to male fitting that you can get here
AN PLUMBING.COM Earls performance products, Hose ends Hose,Adapters, fittings

I cut the bottem part off and sanded it down to make it smooth. To make it fit over the cut fuel line I had to drill out the hole just a little with a larger drill bit just enough so that it fits snug.

Welded

Painted

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have to leave a little bit of the tube sticking up like that for the -AN fitting to slide over? I have a -6AN weld fitting. I was just gonna cut the tube flush and postition it perfectly centered over the hole, and just weld it into place.

Paul or any one that did this more then one time should do a stick,
as this is the best way for the 2g guys to upgrade there fuel sending unit.

my fittings where nice and low the cover when on + all the rewiring for the fuel pump with no no problem.

ill post images soon.

Do you have to leave a little bit of the tube sticking up like that for the -AN fitting to slide over? I have a -6AN weld fitting. I was just gonna cut the tube flush and postition it perfectly centered over the hole, and just weld it into place.
I do all of mine with it cut flush and centered over the hole, but I really don't think it matters any either way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back