The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

fuel pump gone bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I was out tuning the car with my new aem wideband and afc... Everything seemed to be going good had it steady around 11.5 all the way to 7k. When I pulled up to one of the toll booths my car stalled, then began to run really really rich on the wideband and was sputtering. I noticed after I got home that the fuel pump wasn't wining like it usually does and wasn't nearly as lound, instead it was making this wierd noise?? "keep in mind this is a 255lph fuel pump that I have no Idea how many miles are on it."
-I guess my ? is, does this sound like it could be the fuel pump? If so should I go with the 190lph or the 255lph, I'm planing on getting the mhi evo3 16g soon and I'll probably run around 19psi.
thanks in advance,
-Jeff

Still scratching my head I think its either the fuel pump or maybe the b&m regulator but it only drops and richen up like crazy and starts to bog at lo throttle every once in a while?? When I punch it, she runs strong... I'm putting it on the computer this weed to see if anything comes up.

Smell your oil dipstick for fuel.....

What is your fuel pressure set at?

The B&M Command Flo Fuel Modifier and other AFPR FAQ's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok just the facts about this since I've seen numerous threads in recent weeks.

What is it designed for?

It is designed so that you can only raise fuel pressure but not lower it.

Why do I want to lower my fuel pressure?

A dsm with an upgraded fuel pump (255 or larger equivalent) will overrun your stock FPR(increasing pressure) causing the fuel pressure to be eratic at idle and also will not raise 1:1 on boost. A non-stable base fuel pressure reading will cause your idle to stumble and It can also cause potential emissions problems. Not rasing on a 1:1 ratio during boost will cause you headaches tuning since you will not have the same fuel pressure on every run.

So I guess its time for a new fpr, "that is correct you can only turn fp up with the b&m." The thing that I'm worried about,is my fuel pump going bad because its not pumping like it should? Or is it just having trouble because you can't turn the fpr down?
Thanks for the help I hope this fixes the problem...
-(Its wierd because it only happens at lo-throttle, hi-throttle is tuned and so is low but every couple of minutes or so it will just get really rich out of nowhere and start sputtering, then go back to runing pretty good.)
-I'll try the fpr first I guess...

I just wanted to follow up on what was going on. I replaced the fpr and it still did the same thing just helped a little. I ended up switching out the mass air flow sensor and it seems to be running a lot better at low throttle now and pulls pretty hard at high throttle for still having the t-25.
Next comes a front mount and evo3 :D
thanks for the help.
-Jeff

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back