The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

From small 16g to e316g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTEC KILLR

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2005
Portsmouth, Ohio
Ok I went from my small 16g(needs a rebuild) to a e316g with 6,000 miles on it. It has no shaft play and the wheels look great. Now for my total newb question.......The e316g makes a whistle/whining sound when spooling up. Compared To all the other turbo cars I've been in that make a whoosh sound when spooling. They guy I got it from I trust, and he said it's done that since the day he got it.

Is this normal?

Ok I went from my small 16g(needs a rebuild) to a e316g with 6,000 miles on it. It has no shaft play and the wheels look great. Now for my total newb question.......The e316g makes a whistle/whining sound when spooling up. Compared To all the other turbo cars I've been in that make a whoosh sound when spooling. They guy I got it from I trust, and he said it's done that since the day he got it.

Is this normal?

i have a 57b trim turbo and it whistles. ive never heard a turbo whoosh, ive heard a bov whoosh but not a turbo. the whistle is from the wheel spinning.

Ok. The blow off valve goes whoosh.... But all the turbo cars I've had never sounded like this. My iPhone doesn't record video and my digital camera is junk. I'll see if I can get a buddy to record the sound. Just sounds different maybe. I don't know.

Ok. The blow off valve goes whoosh.... But all the turbo cars I've had never sounded like this. My iPhone doesn't record video and my digital camera is junk. I'll see if I can get a buddy to record the sound. Just sounds different maybe. I don't know.

gotcha well if i were you and i didnt see any white smoke, or smoke in general coming from your exhuast and your spoolin fine and making boost i wouldnt see a problem. but thats just me!:thumb:

oh and by the way if you want rebuild your s16g and ill buy your e3 16g from you hahahaahahahaha

sounds to me like you never heard the whistle sound cause your old turbo was going bad... and now that you have a slightly bigger turbo then now you hear it spool nicely... honestly to meit sounds liketurbo spool... but if your saying that it whistles louder than normal then im not sure

gotcha well if i were you and i didnt see any white smoke, or smoke in general coming from your exhuast and your spoolin fine and making boost i wouldnt see a problem. but thats just me!:thumb:

oh and by the way if you want rebuild your s16g and ill buy your e3 16g from you hahahaahahahaha

I will PM you when I get It rebuilt(soon). I miss the low end hit from it. It's ported and clipped, and I don't think this e316g is better at all. Just from my butt dyno results. Ha.

I miss the low end hit from it. It's ported and clipped, and I don't think this e316g is better at all. Just from my butt dyno results. Ha.

E316g really isn't going to outperform the S16g at anything less than 20psi.
Also a clipped turbine will make the turbo more laggy but should flow better up top on the turbine side

Its an iphone, "theres an app for that" ROFL

I miss the low end hit from it. It's ported and clipped, and I don't think this e316g is better at all.
Whoever clips a Small 16G is wasting their time. That turbo's compressor is nowhere NEAR maxing out the turbine's flow. Clipping a Small 16G is not worth losing the turbine efficiency for what you'd gain (nothing) in flow.

Also, you can't use a larger turbo at the same boost level and expect the same results. Big turbos like more boost!

All depends on the intake pipe and MAF your running. My 1g on a small clipped 16g whistled like a mad vacuum cleaner. My 2g on a 2g MAF and EVO3 16g and upgraded intake pipe is silent aside from a little intake sucking noise.

An EVO3 16g will kick the small 16g's ass up and down, something is wrong with yours if that isn't the case. Gotta be a good +60 h.p. difference between them.

I went from a s16G to the E3 16G and the difference was very noticeable. The small one did spool a bit quicker but once it's spooled the EVO3 pulls considerably harder to redline.

Check for boost leaks. If you have one it will make the turbo work harder which could result in a different sound.

Yeah, the EVO3 16g spools a bit slower,I get full boost around 3500 rpms vs. 3300 rpms on my T28. The big fmic isn't helping nor my EVO3 intake manifold, but the midrange is a monster.

yes its a real MHI turbo, I have a gen3 MAS(as listed in my mods on my profile), and my 1g bov my not be holding the boost. I have to check it, or go back to my raptor bov.

Im not saying that the e316g isnt as good as the small 16g, im just saying i like the s16g better............My small 16g on my setup was hitting 24-26lbs of boost at 3500/3800 rpms......no joke. It was fast from stop light to stop light, and with my two step i would make 14lbs of boost at 5500rpms....The e316g definately pulls harder up top, but im not really into going over 100mph on the highway......Just a matter of opinion. I have heard SEVERAL other dsmwiseman praise the small 16g, and now I see their point of view.

Last edited:
Something isn't right then. The only place I felt the E3 16g to be weak is below 2800-3000 rpms. In the 3000-3500 rpm band you can definitely feel the torque rolling in and by 3800 rpms the power curve is nitrous like.

Possibly could be a wastegate arm preload issue, as I've played around with this and it can make a difference in how hard the turbo rolls into boost.

A clipped small 16g is not impressive in terms of spoolup and on my 1g didn't have full boost until 3400 rpms, though the topend was impressive. This is what makes me question something is wrong with the E3 you have.

Mmmmmmm.....I tearing into tomorrow. I have a couple wastegates so I may try another. I also am going to do a fullbboost leak check , and check my bov. For some reason I think my factory bov may have bit the dust. It just doesn't sound the same.

Thanks for the input, Pboglio

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back