The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

FMIC setup question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

210 dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
san antonio, Texas
so right now im putting together a front mount kit w/ 3" cold side on my 90 gsx and wanted to get everbody's opinion on where to run a tap for the boost contoller. my friend said to weld one in after the intercooler as oppose to the stock tap (on the compressor elbow). im pretty sure the new compressor elbow im getting from Mach V dose not have a pre-tapped hole. so what would be the best spot to tap?
oh and also i looking for a stock bov flange to weld to the new 3" pipping but i can only find them sold a steel and my pipes are aluminum so i dont think i can get those welded together. if the stock flange i have on the stock pipes is aluminum then ill use that ,but i dont think it is. dose anybody know if it is?

You can run a MBC from there, or a nipple on the intake manifold if you want to. You compensate for the boost drop across the core and piping by changing the spring tension in the MBC. I say do whatever is easiest for you.

so right now im putting together a front mount kit w/ 3" cold side on my 90 gsx and wanted to get everbody's opinion on where to run a tap for the boost contoller. my friend said to weld one in after the intercooler as oppose to the stock tap (on the compressor elbow). im pretty sure the new compressor elbow im getting from Mach V dose not have a pre-tapped hole. so what would be the best spot to tap?
oh and also i looking for a stock bov flange to weld to the new 3" pipping but i can only find them sold a steel and my pipes are aluminum so i dont think i can get those welded together. if the stock flange i have on the stock pipes is aluminum then ill use that ,but i dont think it is. dose anybody know if it is?

My personal opinion would be to drill, tap, & weld/braze a barbed fitting onto the compressor cover for the boost controler. As for the BOV flange (I'm assuming you are using a 1g DSM style flange), If you need one in aluminum talk to Jim. He sell's them for $15. (see link below). As far as the metal content of the factory one, I'd say it looks like steel.

JM Fabrications (click on catolog, then DIY section, then flanges, then DSM. It's the 2nd one from the top)

I've never seen much of a difference tapping off the intake manifold or the j-pipe/ compressor elbow on my EVC. I tap off of a j-pipe with a welded bung, supposedly better for minimizing boost spike.

Use this for your BOV. Drill an appropriate sized hole and then have someone weld it on.
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - JM Fab Blowoff Valve Adapter: Mitsubishi Eclipse & EVO VIII & IX

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Then for your boost source for your MBC drill a hole into your outlet elbow. Tap it with a 1/8 NPT tap. Then thread in a 1/8 barbed nipple that you can get at any hardware store into the hole. Before you thread in the nipple mix up some JB weld and cover the threads, thread it in and let it cure. Then you're ready to go!!

88420d1224446077-punishment-fmic-kit-there-nipple-j-pipe-mbc-j-pipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i saw this one one extreme PSI but even though it looks like aluminum it dosent say for sure and it could just be polished. i think ill get the flange from JM. all ill need then is a 1 1/2" little cylinder about a inch long to connect it to my pipe. an i guess since i dont have a electric boost controller (like some people,) ill run the boost source after the cooler then?

yeah i saw this one one extreme PSI but even though it looks like aluminum it dosent say for sure and it could just be polished. i think ill get the flange from JM. all ill need then is a 1 1/2" little cylinder about a inch long to connect it to my pipe. an i guess since i dont have a electric boost controller (like some people,) ill run the boost source after the cooler then?

It is aluminum. It's the same one from JMFab. And if you buy the one that I linked to all you will have to do is cut a hole large enough for it to sit in. Then weld it up. The way I look at it is you will be supporting two vendors if you buy from Extreme since you will be buying from them and buying a JMF product!!

It's the same one I bought and had welded to my UICP! Caution!! Don't cut the hole too big. It will piss off the person welding it!! LOL

86776d1219773625-check-out-my-short-route-bovweb.jpg

I will go ahead and be the devil's advocate and say that I have my MBC tapped into my BOV line. MUAHAHAHAH

But really, it works fine. Rock solid control, and no issues blowing off either.

I will go ahead and be the devil's advocate and say that I have my MBC tapped into my BOV line. MUAHAHAHAH

But really, it works fine. Rock solid control, and no issues blowing off either.

+1 for the BOV. mine holds solid 10psi on low boost settings all the way to redline!

seems to spike a little on higher boost levels though

wow thats new to me. do you mean yours is "T" off the bov hose?

by the way the setup you have is pretty impressive. at what RPM dose the motor sit at in fifth at 60mph with that shep trans? im curious because im getting the same stage 4. or dose it not apply to me since i have a 1g(different gear ratios?)?

I had my source off the j pipe (welded bung) and was seeing inconsistent boost peaks at different RPM's. I changed that to the intake manifold and do no have the problem any more. I say go off the manifold.

+1000000

95% percent of all aftermarket intercooler piping aren't thick enough to tap into without creating leaks, I'd go off the manifold as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back