The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FMIC ...a/c...starter ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstfire

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sup fellas.

I just ordered a FMIC off of ebay. I've been told that in order to install the front mount I may have to lose my Air Conditioning. I live in the desert. How true is this??

Lately when i start my car, mainly when its cold right after it cranks i can here some sort of rattling sound. Have any idea what this is?

Thanks fellas

OMG

Who told you that? That's kind of ridiculous.. Your A/C compressor isn't anywhere near the front mount. The only thing you would maybe have to loose is the A/C Condenser in front of the radiator. But you can make it fit with the condenser still in.

Perhaps it would fit, but how is the flow through there once you have 2 things blocking the radiator? I would remove the condenser just to ensure I would not have any cooling issues.

yea it should fit fine, mine did and i dont know about you but i got the xs power fmic, all i had to remove was the crash bumper but really im sure you could fit that back on also.

Thanks fellas. I'll try and work around it. An that 2/60 thing.....well its not any cooler no matter how fast your going when its 120 freakin degrees out.. price you pay to live in vegas thou. but the turbo weather is comming... i'll keep you all posted.

Was there any thoughts about that rattling sound..

An also my engine is ticking...pretty loud. It goes away after awhile or after about 2k rpm at idle. There any way to get rid of this.......Yes I have oil! actually just about to change it.

Thanks fellas. I'll try and work around it. An that 2/60 thing.....well its not any cooler no matter how fast your going when its 120 freakin degrees out.. price you pay to live in vegas thou. but the turbo weather is comming... i'll keep you all posted.

Was there any thoughts about that rattling sound..

An also my engine is ticking...pretty loud. It goes away after awhile or after about 2k rpm at idle. There any way to get rid of this.......Yes I have oil! actually just about to change it.

I think both sounds are pretty common on DSMs. My car has about 4 different sounds at idle. From lifter tick to throwout bearing. :p

OMG

Who told you that? That's kind of ridiculous.. Your A/C compressor isn't anywhere near the front mount. The only thing you would maybe have to loose is the A/C Condenser in front of the radiator. But you can make it fit with the condenser still in.

Are you "relocating" the condenser, or "removing" it from the system? Can it be moved to the side?

I found it to be very tight up front. (short of cutting the front of the bumper cover open to move the IC forward!)
Still looking for a solution myself . . . . .

Are you "relocating" the condenser, or "removing" it from the system? Can it be moved to the side?

I found it to be very tight up front. (short of cutting the front of the bumper cover open to move the IC forward!)
Still looking for a solution myself . . . . .

Not sure, I haven't even mounted my front mount yet. I'm just too damn lazy and don't have any piping.

I imagine it could be relocated though. Or maybe there's an aftermarket one that could go where the sidemount IC was?

Why the hell are you guys removing the condenser.
This:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is a condenser.

What you need to move is the fan. The only other possibility is the A/C lines that go through the front bumper support may interfer but you can always (at least on a 1g) widen the hole in the front bumper support. Thats what I did in the past. However, now I have no A/C. I took it all out to save weight. And my FMIC is way to big to go through the front bumper support.

As for the rattling/tapping sound. You have a dragging starter. Check out this video I made a few years ago for a another DSMer.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3a2fe337-ae86-44be-840a-71f6a48a5555.htm

u should be fine u might have to upgrade ## radiator sometime but remove ## a/c i dont think so

Why the hell are you guys removing the condenser.
This:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is a condenser.

What you need to move is the fan. The only other possibility is the A/C lines that go through the front bumper support may interfer but you can always (at least on a 1g) widen the hole in the front bumper support. Thats what I did in the past. However, now I have no A/C. I took it all out to save weight. And my FMIC is way to big to go through the front bumper support.

As for the rattling/tapping sound. You have a dragging starter. Check out this video I made a few years ago for a another DSMer.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3a2fe337-ae86-44be-840a-71f6a48a5555.htm

O.K. - Its the metal cylinder on the passenger side infront of the condenser and radiator. Can it be moved, removed, or the IC placed infront of it without cutting the bumper to peices?

The condensor is behind the bar that goes verticly from the hood latch, you DONT have to remove it, most people do to save weight( remove whole a/c), or to get better flow to the radiator. There is a thread on here about using a "one way" street sign as a means to cup air into the radiator so it wont matter that you have an FMIC, and condensor in the way of it( edit** here is that link to the article...http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224201 ). What is this metal "cylinder" that you speak of? I didnt have any cylinder infront of my condensor...? Also the a/c refrigerent lines that that run through the front bumper support you will be able to tweak them a little bit so you have room for your IC piping.

By the way if the kid who is 94tsi, you should stop typing like your on AIM, and don't post up something like that, because its useless, and its clearly evident that you just posted it to raise your count.

Through the fmic's I have looked at, they say you need to remove your fan, but you can run up to a 10" slim line fan. And my car has a tick when I first start it, and it's the lifters(lash adjusters). They make new ones with a bigger hole in them for better oil flow. I know with mine, it stops ticking after it gets warmed up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back