The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

First time at the track, 2g GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylork057

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2006
Wilmington, North_Carolina
I have never been to the local strip before and a bunch of my buddies were going up there, i had always ridden with them up there and i never brought my car. I just didn't feel that my car was ready to go to the track in fear of me breaking something:coy: But i had always wanted to go. i have done several things to my car, if you would like to know, please look in my profile, but for the lazy ones, i have a 20g turbo, hks waste gate hks CB apexi DP, Bjs manifold and a full race port 2g head with 1mm over sized valves and a lot more done to the head. 550s and a AFC. Well the car was strong down low and i never thought my car was fast in 3d gear and 4th so i didn't think i would a good trap speed. And to make matters worse i haven't "launched" my car but only a couple of times before i headed to the track, i never really needed to open her up from the line and i was inexperienced in getting good 60 Ft. But the time came that i said hell why not ill take it up there and see what itl do. When i am going around the water box i get a sudden shock of "all these people are watching me", which the stands full, i pull up to the line. Hey this is my first time so don't forget! my opponent is a orange s10 with some v8 swap, (it spanks me). the standing lights come on, then i inch 6 more inches and the second pair comes on. My first 60 ft was a 2.0 letting off the clutch to fast and bogging down and my 1/4 time was a 13.7 barley over 100mph while missing 3rd gear. I head around to the pit area and wait and watch other peoples techniques. I go back out, hoping to get a good run and my 60 was a 1.8 at 13.4 at 103 i believe. Same things happen, missing 3rd again!. By this time I'm hoping for a "3rd times a charm". I head back out there, racing one of my buddies in his 97 SRT-r powered neon on spray. I'm over the nervousness and I'm really concentrating on doing good, i pull a 1.7 60 and i have a 13.2 1/4. STILL MISSING 3RD!!!.. i gave up! for a little, after the bracket racing was done i went back in the lanes, lined up with a 300zxtt, the green-1.69 60, 12.7 1/4 at 108.good shifts! I'm happy with my time considering i am only on 15 lbs. Most of my dsm friends didn't think i would hit 12s. But anyways here's some videos to watch and i hope i didn't bore you-

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

some videos play the sound but the screen doesnt move, just refresh it if your having the same difficulties

congrads man thats a really good time for never been at the track before. I cant belive ## only boosting 15psi. your 108mph is right in the 12s, if u turn up the boost i think you can see low 12s. wish my car was awd LOL, so much easier to get their.

Congrats man! I'm in the same boat as you, I've been to the track a lot but never raced. I think this year is the year.

congrats man, definatly a good job. Id expect 11's with that turbo. With DSMLink you will definatly be able to tune that thing to run much better. I pulled a 12.6 on pump gas with my evo16g at the end of last season, so with your turbo i know 11's are very possible. good luck.

I've got first time jitters just like you did. I've raced on the street, but never on the track with alot of people watching. Any tips?

best thing to do on your first time at the track.
First pay attention to what is going on.
Keep your eyes on the people staging cars, then on the tree.
Dont roll through the tree, or you will look stupid and everyone in the stands will be calling you a freaking NOOB :)
Best thing to do on your first pass, is just make a pass down the track. When the bottom light is yellow start getting off the clutch to go. If you have ever played any sports just tune the crowd out. If your paying attention to all thats going on, you wont even notice the crown.

One of the most important things to do when its your first time at the track is to stay calm, take a few deep breaths before the run, and when you get your timeslip, do not be dissappointed with the time because it most likely will not be what you wanted. The key here is that the more and more you run, your times will come down. Practice and experience are the most important factors when it comes to drag racing. :talon:

I, personaly love the hart pounding, throat tencing, stumic turning experience every time I line up in the staging line. It's what I go out there for..

man i lost that after my first few times down the track. I just go threw my mental checklist of what needs to happen and watch the lights.

I countdown with the lights, helps me get better R/Ts

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back