The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Fiberglass 8 pound doors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
Does anybody know if you could use the stock door handles with these? It doesn't look like it to me. Also it doesn't look like there is a spot for the factory latch or hinges. I e-mailed him and I got no reply so I figured I would see if anybody on here knows. Also, I know about the safety concerns and this is a track car.

PART

These look like the doors but I am not sure how they are mounted or how they made the door opener that is on it. You can see behind the window where they made a opener for the door. This is showdown motorsports car.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/gallery/data/500/Door1.JPG

i wouldnt buy fiberglass body parts. ive bought them before for my old car and also for my bike and none of the parts ever fit right. you would honestly be better off making your own fiberglass doors, its not that hard just kinda time consuming. if you do decide to do that go to the library and check out a book on how to make fiberglass parts.

I will be buying them if I can figure out howto make handles work. I have no interest in making my own when these are only $590 for the pair and only weigh 8 pounds each. And I am sure he has a mold that he uses to make sure they fit.

I also have had bad experiences with fiberglass parts not fitting right, especially from molds. Never on my own car, but on my friends. The parts are either too long, too short, or wavy. IMO, save up another $500 and get carbon fiber doors, a few people make them, and they have all the provision built in for stock handles, latches, etc...

Twice the price is out of the question just because of them being able to use stock handles.

Please limit future posts to ones that can help answer my questions and not ones telling me not to buy these.

This is a "race weight" door. It was never intended to use rolling windows, door panels or handles with them. They are for race cars. You will end up spending more money making them work than just buying the CF door.

Who said anything about door panles or windows? This car will have the flexalite windows in the rear which is like lexan just pre-molded and bent to fit. The doors will have lexan and an aluminum sheet for door panles.

Like I said before please limit future posts to ones that can help answer my questions and not ones telling me not to buy these. I am not interested in ANY problems you think I will have. All I want to know is ideas for intigrating handles and mounting the doors.

The people in previous posts talking about fiberglass body parts not fitting right, are probably people that have bought cheap off brand fiberglass bodykits, fenders, etc and expect them to fit right. Cheap crappy made parts are going to fit crappy, what do you expect?
I'm not going to tell you not to buy the doors, because I dont know what quality they are myself because I have never seen them in person.
I just wanted to let you know that not all fiberglass parts are bad, despite what these other people will tell you.

The people in previous posts talking about fiberglass body parts not fitting right, are probably people that have bought cheap off brand fiberglass bodykits, fenders, etc and expect them to fit right. Cheap crappy made parts are going to fit crappy, what do you expect?
I'm not going to tell you not to buy the doors, because I dont know what quality they are myself because I have never seen them in person.
I just wanted to let you know that not all fiberglass parts are bad, despite what these other people will tell you.

its true that there are good fiberglass parts out there. but the parts that i had got for my old car were name brand parts not knock offs, and they still didnt fit right.

Guess it just depends on what brand you get. For example, I have a cheap fiberglass hood on my Camaro (got it for free) that doesnt fit too great, and I had a very expensive Cervini's fiberglass hood on my S10 (when I had it) that fit flawless. Fit just as perfect as the stock steel hood and you couldnt tell it was fiberglass.

I have a FG hood on my truck and it sucks balls, doesn't fit worth a F and is spider cracked. but for a track car I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know this is an older thread, but I too am interested in these doors. I'm sure you could use them with oem door handles. You would obviously have to do some modifying though. Did you try sending an email to Bill at Showdown Motorsports (the owner of the car in the dsmtalk picture link) and talk with him about them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back