The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fast spool on a automatic eprom tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanley talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2005
Spencer, Indiana
I have a question i was contemplating and i need help answering it? I was wondering if you could tune an eprom ecu to link into the brake on an automatic. much like anti lag or nlts mod. The reason is so when your at the staging light trying to build boost you could have the timing maps retarded and the fuel increased to encourage very fast spool. Then when you lift off the brake the car will resume normal timing map functions and take off like a raped ape.IS THIS POSSIBLE?

When I was auto, I was able to build 16-20psi off the line and I would say it launched well on stock TC.
With a larger turbo, you may run into issues building enough psi off the line, but many make due with nitrous.
I think you're asking for something similar to a "trans brake" which I don't believe is available for our autos.
I coded a 2step/stutterbox into the ecu and it was basically useless.

What i was wondering is if i could build high boost and keep the torque converter lightly loaded. Just seems the tranny would last longer. As far as building boost it will do that easy. It's 60 ft times range between 1.65-1.80 now. But what i want is to build boost before the tree turns green. I do have methanol injection now. It really makes a huge difference maybe i will back fuel/ timing way back in the lower end of the Hi settings on the safc which will further reduce the timing and at the same time inject methanol and alcohol/water at the same time to see if i can create faster spool. Just thought als on a automatic would be cool. Then again if no one has tried it. Then how the heck do they know it don't work? If you have tried antilag setup on a automatic let me know the results?

If you logged your launch, and checked the rpm and timing figures, you could edit that timing cell on the ecus timing map to what you desire and test it out.

I actually did a chip just like that a few months ago, with limited success. I used the A/C input of the ECU, tied to the brake light switch. It retarded the timing when the brakes are on, and went back to full timing advance as soon as you lifted your foot off the brake.
But, from talking to other A/T owners, the reason this doesn't work is because with less timing advance the torque converter sees less load, so you can't build as much boost, or something like that. One guy actually suggested MORE timing advance, to load the converter even more.

Have you looked on the drag section under LucasEnglish? He's using factory trans and converter and pulled 1.4 60's. Only modifications are a electric vac assist and longer arm welded on the brake pedal. :aha:

His car has been setup up with the exact boltons that match his toque converter for the best 60ft ;). As far as the community has seen, the ebay 16g spools later. . . And what cams and other modifications does the OP have different from the English Racing car?

His car has been setup up with the exact boltons that match his toque converter for the best 60ft ;). As far as the community has seen, the ebay 16g spools later. . . And what cams and other modifications does the OP have different from the English Racing car?

I should clarify, I'm not saying the OP is gonna go pull 1.4x's with the above to modifications. (or anyone else for that matter) Just suggesting a quick read into it.

Also Bob Bailey of fullthrottle speed has just designed such a system for turbo buicks. The DSM's are next on the list.

Here is a link with more info...

2-step for stock ignition systems - TurboBuick.Com

Thanks that is good information. I wish i was a computer wizz cause i would try it.

No computer wiz necessary, It would be a plug and play deal. Just have to wait for them to release it for the DSM's. The first batch for the buicks is already sold out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back