The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

factory 2 piston big rotor upgrade 276mm-294mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where'd you get your brackets from?

I got the calipers and brackets from a salvage yard here in DFW. I couldn't buy just the brackets, I had to buy the calipers which cam with the brackets. I am just reusing the n/t stealth calipers though because I don't feel like spending the money on new ss lines to make the outlander calipers work. I just need to do some grinding if I get time this week to get them to clear.

I haven't tried, but those are just as hard to find in the yards as outlanders are. It's looking like I might just have to buy oem brackets. I can get them for $52 each, and I work for a stealership that has two mitsu stores, idk what regular price is but it's bound to be more than that... still sucks though.

I haven't tried, but those are just as hard to find in the yards as outlanders are. It's looking like I might just have to buy oem brackets. I can get them for $52 each, and I work for a stealership that has two mitsu stores, idk what regular price is but it's bound to be more than that... still sucks though.

If you can source them for that price I would order a set from you right now...last time I checked they were sold by JNZTuning for $125 which is still fair if you consider that the junkyard inventory on 95-96 Outlander appears to be non existent.

If you can source them for that price I would order a set from you right now...last time I checked they were sold by JNZTuning for $125 which is still fair if you consider that the junkyard inventory on 95-96 Outlander appears to be non existent.

Maybe I can just buy up sets of them and sell enough on here to pay for my own haha.

Really though I hate paying so much when I know if I found them at a junkyard it'd probably be $20 or less for BOTH of them, but I hear ya on it being almost impossible to find them. And I hope you meant 05-06 and not 95-96 LOL.

im goin to the junk yard tomorrow im really interested to know if the montero sport share the same front brake pattern. this is what i found..>>>>>

Rotor diameters
1- evo 8/9. 12.6=(320mm)
2- 00/04 montero sport. 12.3=(314mm)
3- 05/06 outlander. 11.7=(296mm)
4- eclipse gsx. 10.9=(176mm)
5- eclipse gst. 10.1=(156mm)

Maybe I can just buy up sets of them and sell enough on here to pay for my own haha.

Really though I hate paying so much when I know if I found them at a junkyard it'd probably be $20 or less for BOTH of them, but I hear ya on it being almost impossible to find them. And I hope you meant 05-06 and not 95-96 LOL.

Yes I did, I was only off by 10 years!!!

im goin to the junk yard tomorrow im really interested to know if the montero sport share the same front brake pattern. this is what i found..>>>>>

Rotor diameters
1- evo 8/9. 12.6=(320mm)
4- eclipse gsx. 10.9=(276mm)
5- eclipse gst. 10.1=(256mm)

Some of those specs are wrong. I have corrected.

Rotor diameters
1- evo 8/9. 12.6=(320mm)
4- eclipse gsx. 10.9=(176mm)
5- eclipse gst. 10.1=(156mm)

I am curious to know how you made out with the montero caliper brackets.

Some Montero dual piston calipers are 45mm x 2 vs the 43mm x 2 in the GSX.
Surprisingly, the Endeavor calipers are 45.5mm x2 but still use the Montero pads.

So what about a big rear upgrade: solid or vented?

Just curious- and I've asked this before on this site and no one answered- Do you guys actually do any math with these upgrades to determine the effects on brake bias, or just hope/assume it all works out?

Jake Latham's 2000 Radical Prosport

If it works, it works, but I think full disclosure as far as how it affects brake bias is the bare minimum you owe to everyone else on the road when changing the specs of your brake system.

Just curious- and I've asked this before on this site and no one answered- Do you guys actually do any math with these upgrades to determine the effects on brake bias, or just hope/assume it all works out?

Jake Latham's 2000 Radical Prosport

If it works, it works, but I think full disclosure as far as how it affects brake bias is the bare minimum you owe to everyone else on the road when changing the specs of your brake system.

I guess the answer to your direct question is no.

The link you posted is actually interesting, I haven't gone through all of it but I will sure do so. For what is worth I have not modified the brake system on my 1g yet in part because I am used to go through the theory before getting handy, but even though I always kept it in tip top shape (fluid, rubber lines replaced with SS DOT ones, pads, shims, seals, MC etc. and used OEM only components) the car always had really poor braking. Not to mention that the most common modification to the brake system on a 1g is upgrading to a double piston caliper from a newer 1G (92+ to 90-91).

I can confirm that MITSUBISHI MONTERO (a.k.a. PAJERO here in Europe) brackets are not the same. Since those are very popular here and there are plenty in the junk yards, I went thru this and tried. I also did a cross reference in the EPC catalog here. Part numbers are not the same.
I ended up ordering my brackets from USA and basically paid whatever they were asking for the whole caliper, but got only the brackets. Still $50 for both was a good deal. Found them in the car-part.com.

For those of you who want to cross reference parts, this is very useful online EPC catalog I have been using:

Mitsubishi Catalog

I wonder if the Montero(not Montero Sport) caliper can be bolt on the DSM two piston bracket. There usually some Montero in the yard but it has not in the last two months.

I guess the answer to your direct question is no.

The link you posted is actually interesting, I haven't gone through all of it but I will sure do so. For what is worth I have not modified the brake system on my 1g yet in part because I am used to go through the theory before getting handy, but even though I always kept it in tip top shape (fluid, rubber lines replaced with SS DOT ones, pads, shims, seals, MC etc. and used OEM only components) the car always had really poor braking. Not to mention that the most common modification to the brake system on a 1g is upgrading to a double piston caliper from a newer 1G (92+ to 90-91).

And that's kind of what I'm getting at. Larger front rotors or calipers, all else equal, results in more front bias. More front bias is detrimental to the performance of a street car, which typically has too much front bias anyway to cater to the lowest common denominator driver. You end up with better fade resistance, but worse braking ability because you're not using the rear tires to stop the car.

One fantastic upgrade (and I've noticed a few people using it already) that doesn't affect bias at all, but makes the pedal feel 200% better (and more consistent on the track) is a larger master cylinder.

I'm not criticizing the upgrade, just the lack of proper information accompanying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS upgrade the mas cyl if possible. for the mirage (EVO1-3) swap guys they tell us to pick up a 3KGT mas cyl to help use the front 276mm rotors better. we have to do a $350 rear disk hub change as well so it's not 276mm up front and drums out back. that can't be a good bias.

I have GSX calipers from a junk GSX and I'm trying to figure out what bolts go where. anyone have an exploded diagram for GSX calipers so I can make sure I'm not missing any pieces? somone removed one of the calipers before I got to the car and I think they mixed the bolts up. I don't wanna pull calipers off my AWD as the brakes still work for garage use

I wish all the brakes upgrade knowledge was consolidated in a sticky in the technical section, there's at least 3 different threads about this very modifications and it's going in all directions.

I had the MC discussion already. The bigger MC makes the braking system more responsive (the same travel of the pedal displaces more fluid) but requires more force applied to the pedal, hence the upgrade to a bigger BB to restore somehow the previous balance of things.

I can confirm that MITSUBISHI MONTERO (a.k.a. PAJERO here in Europe) brackets are not the same. Since those are very popular here and there are plenty in the junk yards, I went thru this and tried. I also did a cross reference in the EPC catalog here. Part numbers are not the same.
I ended up ordering my brackets from USA and basically paid whatever they were asking for the whole caliper, but got only the brackets. Still $50 for both was a good deal. Found them in the car-part.com.

For those of you who want to cross reference parts, this is very useful online EPC catalog I have been using:

Mitsubishi Catalog

I do not believe they would be the same part number. Since they are different pieces, for example the GSX and GST caliper bracket part numbers are different. But they are interchangable (as long as you change caliper and rotor as well). I hope you understand what im trying to say. I am considering giving it a shot at the junkyard and picking them up. I would like to know some more info on them.

I do not believe they would be the same part number. Since they are different pieces, for example the GSX and GST caliper bracket part numbers are different. But they are interchangable (as long as you change caliper and rotor as well). I hope you understand what im trying to say. I am considering giving it a shot at the junkyard and picking them up. I would like to know some more info on them.

Yes, I got your point. They may fit as long as you change both calipers and rotors. But since Pajero's (aka Monteros) are using 276mm rotors here, there was no point for me to use their brackets. Actually looks like the Outlander brackets are the only ones giving enough clearance for the 296mm rotors.

A bigger rotor could take more heat before heat soaking, reducing fade. haha I love lmgtfy.com

Ok. I guess I asked that the wrong way. I understood the heat aspect of a larger having the larger rotor. I've read that people see a HUGE difference doing this and I just cant imagine it being a huge difference. I can see it being better but I'm just wondering how big of an improvement it is. Found parts for $200 and I'm debating it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back