The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fabricating Materials Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watch out with over using an auto dark lid. The reaction time is usually pretty small, but if you do enough with it all those fractions of a second at full brightness do add up and can eventually cause vision problems. Get a fixed darkness glass if you plan to do a lot of welding.

It's been years since I've welded, but I still remember all the old-timers preaching the importance of that to me.

I had the HF helmet and it's good for mig, but for tig I would not recommend it.
I then "upgraded" to the kobalt hood from lowes for $99 and it was better but not much. Finally said F it and bought miller performance hood for just under 200 and it's PERFECT.
Cyberweld.com has good stuff/deals.

Gas is so much better and cleaner. Stick to 0.23-.025 sized wire and the chart for the settings is usually pretty accurate.

Yeah. I picked up some .023 wire and I have the bottle of 75/25. I'll probably grab some straight Argon and some SS wire here at some point. I picked up a Holset HE351ve over the weekend and I'll be needing to fab an o2 housing for it. I'd like to do that all in SS.

a little tip for the MIG guys looking for the best ad cleanest weld on mild steels, use GAS and FLUX CORE WIRE use som c25 (75/25 argon/co2). There was a local guy i know that's older and took some courses at the metro community college and said he heard/learned it from theinstructor.. well when i got some fluc core wire from a friend that had it for whatever reason i tried it with some c25 andthe results were REALLY NICE

also, I know i've seen it before on this forum but there's a place called siliconeintakes.com that has actually a few diffrent websites that all lead to the same parts but the quality is good on their pipes, silicone coupler and aluminum and stiainless parts such as flex sections, v-bands and they are the chepest i've seen on the web aside from egay which i hate to deal with anymore

From what I've read, the important part about shielding gas for SS is to make sure it is low on CO2, as the carbon pulled into the weld from that will make the SS not so stainless. And the Helium in the tri-mix is there to promote better penetration.

I'd love to use tri-mix, but I don't have the room to store a larger tank. I can't get tri-mix in a 20CF tank locally. I can pick up a small 20CF Argon tank pretty easily. If I were doing a lot more SS welding, I'd go through the trouble of getting the larger tank. At this point, the only SS work I think I'll need to do is an o2 housing and a new flex section in my downpipe.

I buy all my couplers and IC pipes from Silicone Intake Systems. I started pricing out parts for this VGT project out on their site, and it looks like I'll be placing another order through them.

That's what i was playing with too.. sorry if your working on simething thin and i missed it, i juust tossed that in as a little tip i learned, not particular to nayone's work ingeneral.. I prefer .024 wire for small stuff, but .030 takes more heat to melt and burns in deeper due to that fact

I know a lot of people like 98/2 (2 of co2) mix and you can spray arc that way too.

That's what i was playing with too.. sorry if your working on simething thin and i missed it, i juust tossed that in as a little tip i learned, not particular to nayone's work ingeneral.. I prefer .024 wire for small stuff, but .030 takes more heat to melt and burns in deeper due to that fact

I need a source for weld-on nuts. Something like this Allstar Performance Weld-On Nuts ALL18550 - Mobile SummitRacing.com it should be round and taller than a normal nut. I need different sizes than just that and in aluminum as well which summit doesn't carry. I can't for the life of me find a source for weld on bungs that aren't for o2 sensors or an lines. The an thread pitches are not ideal and I can't find anywhere to buy them more than one at a time. I don't want $50 in bungs on this project. I've been making the aluminum ones myself but I don't really want to make all the steel bungs myself.
Can someone point me in the right direction here? Thanks.

For all my v-bands and other items ive used deeds engineering before! There good and do some nice items too.

Deeds Engineering - Premium Speed Products

So where would I find metric to -AN adaptors then?

Has anyone used these clamps with any other vband flange? I need a clamp but the tial clamp is $45. Deeds says theirs only works with their flanges.

I'm wondering if my auto dark lid is adding up like the above post, i am gonna start using X mode. Then again i only have sensitivity at 7.

On a second note, anyone know where to get 3.5" 16g 304 elbows? I can only find 14g. I already have a 3.5" vibrant UJ but elbows are always better for tight radius.

Love this thread by the way

^Do you know how to properly set your sensitivity? Point it at the light in your shop, adjust until it darkens, back if off a few degrees or 1 number and you are set.
Also wipe your front lens to make sure it's clean

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back