The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Exhaust manifold leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmcoder

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2010
Havre, Montana
I was seafoaming my car last weekend and I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust manifold gasket area. I have been having weird boost symptoms lately. My boost seems to shoot up to 16 when I floor it for like a second and then goes down to 12. I also hear a whistle sound that was never there before and I have done boost leak test and have not been able to reproduce this noise, it only happens when I'm boosting. Would my exhaust manifold cause these symptoms?

I have a stock 2g manifold that I was going to replace it with, I was thinking about porting it out but I'm not sure if I should. Also what Gasket should I use when replacing it?

I used to have the same problem over and over.

What I did to fix mine.

The bolt were the wrong size, they were smaller than what they were supposed to be so they were backing off and leaking.

Make sure they are the correct size (diameter), use a copper multi layer gasket, and use the gasket spray stuff, I can't remember what it's called But it's a gasket spray that helps it stick together, after putting correct bolts and new gasket in it, hasn't leaked again.

Hope this helps.

I would definitely port the outlet of the 2g mani. I prefer to gasket match it but taking the lip for the steel sleeve is most important. I also believe in not take the middle section out completely I simply knife edged mine. I didn't touch the runners but if I did I would match them to the exhaust ports from the head, not gasket matched. Also there is a vfaq on manifold prying I believe.

As for the gasket first make sure you have all the studs and use lock washers with the nuts. I like the oem style copper multi-layer gaskets, the four layer is best the two layer works fine for most people. I don't use copper spray on them personally but it may help it seal, I've never has a leak issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back