The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

exhaust leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacjs

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
This is going to drive me crazy or kill me... The car smells like I have a hose connected directly from the exhaust to the cabin. Gotta roll with the windows & sunroof totally open or totally closed. No middle ground or I'm swimming in exhaust fumes(not gas or unburnt fuel fumes). General I/H/E set-up on a GS. Intake connected to an eBay intake manifold(new TB gasket and manifold gasket), new o-rings on the fpr(doubled up the big one actually), stock fuel rail & injectors(doubled up the o-rings on the nozzle side), unknown 4-1 2 piece header welded into 1 piece(yes the welds are good) with new gaskets on the head & cat. New gasket on the back of the cat going to the catback(greddy). Didn't replace the gaskets between the mid pipe & the 2nd resonator & the

Last edited:
well it definitely sound like an exhaust leak of some kind. you said you replaced all the gaskets, did you check for corrosion on the pipes themselves? Sometimes parts of the components can look good, but flip them over and the other side can be eaten away from rust. Especially check the top of the catalytic converter, i've seen rust eat through those before like butter.

I had what I thought was an exhaust leak a few years back. After replacing every gasket from the manifold to the muffler, it still stunk to high heaven in the cabin. It was driving me nuts...not to mention making me sick.

Anyway, it ended up being a torn rear hatch seal. There never was a leak from the exhaust, just the exhaust being pulled in through the hatch. I replaced the seal, no more exhaust smell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the hatch seal! Spent my entire day off going through EVERYTHING, just to wid up in he same position. Checked the hatch seal and found it torn in a couple of places. Going to swap it off of my other car Sunday & hope that finally does it. Think the drainage seals in the spare tire well could be contributing also? All I have back there is the cargo net & carpet.

So ive been reading around the threads and came across some posts advising to use 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, and i thought the rule has always ben never use more than one gasket.

I currently have a FFWD Copper gasket that isnt sealing properly on the corner.

The thing is i have a 2 layer metal/aluminum gasket laying around and was wondering if i could use both the ffwd copper gasket and the 2 layer one.

If not ill go ahead and file down the manifold until i get my hands on one.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 62
Did you have any noticeable gaps between your manifold and head? Two gaskets may work but one should be enough if everything is on correctly.

Did you have any noticeable gaps between your manifold and head? Two gaskets may work but one should be enough if everything is on correctly.

yeah theres a gap on the left side corner between the 14mm and the 12mm bolt on the edge.

i could feel the exhaust leak on idle by hand along with the load exhaust tick.

and for the post above me.

The hatch seal is the rubber seal along the hatch.

the hatch seal is just all the rubber trim between hatch and car when closed and for the other guy get it up on a rack or oil pit get someone too rev the car and run your hand all around your exhaust and check for forced air

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back